Some test shots - K55 f2 (I think)

Forum dedicated to feedback and discussion originating from PENTAXdslr Members' Blogs - New Posts not supported in this forum - Replies OK
Reply to topicReply to topic
Go to page  1, 2  Next 

13 Feb '13 Wed Feb 13, 2013 20:13    
Charlotte
Founder Member +  Founder Member +
  •  

Post Some test shots - K55 f2 (I think)

Click to follow Link to Original Article.

13 Feb '13 Wed Feb 13, 2013 23:07    
sasastro
Member / f1.4  Member / f1.4
  •  

Post Re: Some test shots - K55 f2 (I think)

I can see why you want to keep it Charlotte, some great pictures there, the first one is awesome

Google +
Flickr
Photo Blog

14 Feb '13 Thu Feb 14, 2013 13:44    
Dangermouse
Founder Member  
  •  

I've just spent the morning with one of the f1.8 versions! No results yet as I'm 20 frames into a test roll with the KX it came with. I have used the other one I own on digital and found it ridiculously sharp with more natural-looking colours than the DA lenses.

The f2 is probably slightly rarer as it was only sold with Japanese-made K1000s, so made for only a couple of years. The two lenses are identical aside from the f2 having been knobbled to stop the diaphragm blades opening fully.

“Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.”
― Mark Twain

K-5, K2, SFX. Lenses from 1975 to 2012

14 Feb '13 Thu Feb 14, 2013 14:44    
Charlotte
  •  

Thanks Sas. Very Happy

'tis ridiculously sharp as you say DM. It seems to be sharp through all the apertures as well, which is unusual. It has an amazing amount of DOF wide open as well. Can't wait for a chance to get out and about with it.

I've just received a K35 mm 3.5 this morning (the reason I have to sell lenses), so it will be interesting to see how that compares. First impression is that it is incredibly slow compared with the 55mm.

Oooh deep joy, I just love that 'kid in a sweetshop' feeling. Embarassed

Je Suis Charlie

14 Feb '13 Thu Feb 14, 2013 16:03    
Charlotte
  •  

The k35mm 3.5 isn't too shabby;

99.1 crop

I forgot to resize them before I uploaded - excuse the lighting, I don't have 'proper' lights and I'm not brilliant at indoor photography yet.

I won't need a macro at this rate. Shocked Laughing

Je Suis Charlie

14 Feb '13 Thu Feb 14, 2013 20:01    
Dangermouse
Founder Member  
  •  

You could always look for a set of genuine Pentax extension tubes rather than a 50mm macro.

I found a "Helicoid Extension Tube K" for £6 a while ago, needed a bit of attention to the paintwork but functions perfectly. It's basically a variable extension tube between 26 and 46mm, you don't get aperture coupling so you need to focus then stop the aperture down manually.

I used the K 28/3.5 as my main lens until I bought the 17-50mm, it didn't feel especially slow and the results were sharp as they come.

“Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.”
― Mark Twain

K-5, K2, SFX. Lenses from 1975 to 2012

14 Feb '13 Thu Feb 14, 2013 22:13    
layingback
Site Administrator  Site Administrator
  •  

- Dangermouse

You could always look for a set of genuine Pentax extension tubes rather than a 50mm macro.

As you are only putting air not glass between the lens and the body, I can't see what a genuine Pentax set gets you over say a Vivitar set when used with a K series lens. And should be a lot cheaper as they most certainly were when new.

My Own Personal Web Page on PENTAXslr.eu   <-- you can have one too

16 Feb '13 Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:09    
Charlotte
  •  

I have a couple of Jessops tubes, and a three times converter that I've removed the glass from.

I think the glass might find it's way out of my macro teleconverter this year though - I find tubes restrictive with their fixed length and I think the macro teleconverter will make life easier because you can lengthen it or shorten it as necessary.

The 35mm is I think an outdoors sunny day lens really - it needs a lot of light compared with the 55mm at the same aperture.

I alos think the 35mm is going to be a cracker of a lens reversed onto tubes. Cool Need to adapt my ring lights to fit on the end of the reversed lens though.

Normally buying a lens sorts out my LBA for a while - 'tas done the opposite this time though, I'm itching to get my hands on another K series lens now. Rolling Eyes

Je Suis Charlie

16 Feb '13 Sat Feb 16, 2013 19:02    
darkskies
Member / f4.0  Member / f4.0
  •  

- Charlotte

Normally buying a lens sorts out my LBA for a while - 'tas done the opposite this time though, I'm itching to get my hands on another K series lens now. Rolling Eyes

Yeah, it does that, Charlotte. I have the 55 and the 28. I think the 28 is better than the 55, and by a way. That may be because I haven't used much or got used to the 55 yet. But I suspect it's not quite as good as the 35, but can't be sure as I don't have both.

I'll be after some more when I have some funds. I'm not even in credit at the moment!!

17 Feb '13 Sun Feb 17, 2013 01:07    
DrOrloff
Winner Project 12 - 2015  Winner Project 12 - 2015
  •  

My version of that outdoor sunny day lens:

You found one quickly!

17 Feb '13 Sun Feb 17, 2013 09:37    
Charlotte
  •  

Not a sunny day lens then Laughing I really like that shot !

I was extremely lucky - I found a dealer in France that was selling one in Mint condition, for 140,00 € (£118.00 approx). As you had said on another thread that you'd pay £120.00 for one I grabbed it quickly. I think I was meant to have one otherwise I'd still be looking for one this time next year.

I'm in the dog house now though. Crying or Very sad

Je Suis Charlie

17 Feb '13 Sun Feb 17, 2013 15:47    
DrOrloff
Winner Project 12 - 2015  Winner Project 12 - 2015
  •  

Sounds like a very decent buy. I agree, you should lay off the K's for a while (until I have snapped some more up that is).

17 Feb '13 Sun Feb 17, 2013 18:10    
Charlotte
  •  

Laughing Laughing Laughing I don't expect I'll be buying anymore for a long time. The next one I would like is the smc PENTAX SOFT 1:2.2 85mm.

They don't seem to come up very often and it would take me a year or two to save up my centimes.

Je Suis Charlie

17 Feb '13 Sun Feb 17, 2013 21:14    
darkskies
Member / f4.0  Member / f4.0
  •  

Have you seen what the K85 will do, Charlotte? Shocked

17 Feb '13 Sun Feb 17, 2013 21:43    
Charlotte
  •  

Yep - 'tis intriguing. I'd probably be better off just putting some vasaline over a UV filter and using that on a lens instead. Laughing

I've seen some lovely childrens portraits taken with it.

Je Suis Charlie

Link  QR 
Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   google+   linkedin   twitthis  
Show more ...
Go to page  1, 2  Next

Go to page  2  Next

pentaxslr Non-Human Visitor Terms and Conditions of Use