Show Me The Monet

Forum dedicated to feedback and discussion originating from PENTAXdslr Members' Blogs - New Posts not supported in this forum - Replies OK
Reply to topicReply to topic
Go to page  1, 2  Next 

30 Oct '13 Wed Oct 30, 2013 13:41    
DrOrloff
Winner Project 12 - 2015  Winner Project 12 - 2015
  •  

Post Show Me The Monet

Click to follow Link to Original Article.

3 Nov '13 Sun Nov 03, 2013 19:49    
DrOrloff
  •  

Post Re: Show Me The Monet

Here's the photo I should have gone for (it's a non photo as it's a massive crop):

Read my initial adventures in Monet's Creuse in my blog.

3 Nov '13 Sun Nov 03, 2013 21:39    
sasastro
Member / f1.4  Member / f1.4
  •  

Certainly an adventure and a half you had there, just goes to show the lengths we go to to get our photos.

BTW - Monet would have been proud of the one above Wink

Google +
Flickr
Photo Blog

4 Nov '13 Mon Nov 04, 2013 09:28    
darkskies
Member / f4.0  Member / f4.0
  •  

Sounds like you had a great time, dr!

Can you remind me of this just before I start on any camping adventures! Laughing

4 Nov '13 Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:25    
Chris
Founder Member +  Founder Member +
  •  

- DrOrloff

Here's the photo I should have gone for (it's a non photo as it's a massive crop):

K-3 it is then Wink

(I do like it, crop or not)

11 Nov '13 Mon Nov 11, 2013 22:01    
DrOrloff
  •  

I see the extra cropping ability of the K3 or any camera as the least good reason to upgrade. Cropping imo is a means to level an image or get rid of minor intrusions at the edge of frame. In rare circumstances where a subject cannot be framed ideally or approached then cropping is fine, but this is rare as there is usually a better way to get an image. I printed A4 size an image I took with my old Canon G3 5mp camera (cropped down a little to I can't remember how many pixels) and it looked just great. I am ubercritical and it really does look great, bags of fine detail. So if 5mp is good enough with a 13 year old sensor then my 16mp K5 still has plenty going for it. I would upgrade to use my lenses as they were intended, or for a significant improvement in noise performance. I do like the look of the K3 but I haven't yet seen any images with it that really impress, in fact quite the opposite. For the time being I am going to concentrate on improving, I want to earn the right to a better camera and in the meantime do my K5 more justice.

11 Nov '13 Mon Nov 11, 2013 22:12    
Chris
  •  

- DrOrloff

I do like the look of the K3 but I haven't yet seen any images with it that really impress, in fact quite the opposite.

I can't tell you how depressed I am to agree with this.

I'm having to really bite my tongue (increasingly unsuccessfully, I might add) when this or that average picture is trumpeted in various places as clear 'evidence' of how marvellous the camera is.

I've actually seen one sequence of shots that might possibly, just possibly indicate that the AF tracking is dramatically better than the K-5. Everything else so far is just the triumph of hope over reality, with a sprinkling of excellent shots thrown in that say a lot more about the photographer than the camera.

In fairness, I suspect that as with any camera, the K-3 will take a bit of getting used to, and most people are still a bit rubbish with it, as you might expect. I wish Axel had one, I think we might see something quite special, given the K-5 and D7100 pictures of his I've seen.

That said, I fear that it might be a bit like when the K-7 came out. Hopes had been high as the K20D replacement was rumoured, but the bottom line was that the K-7 simply wasn't the K-5.

The detailed review from the US forum is due out tomorrow, I await that with an equal measure of hope and fear.

11 Nov '13 Mon Nov 11, 2013 22:28    
DrOrloff
  •  

I only trust the opinion of photographers I believe to be excellent, and I have only seen a few images from one of those so far. Trouble is most Pentax photographers who I believe to be excellent have gone to Nikon. When the K5 came out it was obvious that it blew the K7 away. The K3 looks like an excellent camera, it won't blow the K5 away not even in the right hands but that is more testament to the K5. I'm sure it wouldn't be a disappointing upgrade but personally I just think the K5 is capable of top notch images so I see no reason to abandon it so soon. The big reason to upgrade would be if Pentax has joined the decent tracking AF party. All the evidence so far suggests not quite yet and I do trust the USforum reviewers much more than the sycophantic views of the UK.

12 Nov '13 Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:27    
darkskies
Member / f4.0  Member / f4.0
  •  

I love the K3. I love the K5II and K5IIs. Not because I have any of them, but because it's allowed me to just buy a little used K5 from SRS with 1 year's warranty for £350, about the same price as I paid for my K-r 2 years ago. Very Happy

I finally feel like I've caught up. The newer camera bodies don't, for my type of photography, add enough to justify paying any more. Now I can watch with interest what happens next! Whilst playing with my new toy, of course!

12 Nov '13 Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:54    
Algernon
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

I find it disappointing that a SH K-5 is now only worth about £300 for such an excellent camera.
I still have a GX20 as a backup, but I don't fancy selling either just to get a K-3 partly because I
don't want to be handling the monster file sizes it produces.

Unless you want it for big prints or fast AF it's not needed. 16M pixels is fine for monitor viewing.

Algi

13 Nov '13 Wed Nov 13, 2013 09:27    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Pentax Forum's K3 review now out. Very comprehensive. Conclusions page lists a lot of Pro and a good few Cons, so not entirely a fan boy review. AF tracking of a moving subject better than the K5 IIs but still well short of the Nikon competitor.

K3 Review

Total review runs to 20 pages, so a long read if you can be bothered to look at every section - I skipped that on movie as I'm in the camp that believes an DSLR if for stills and a movie camera is for movies. Simples!

13 Nov '13 Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:52    
Chris
  •  

- Steve_7HC

Conclusions page lists a lot of Pro and a good few Cons, so not entirely a fan boy review.

IMO there's not a trace of Pentax fanboyism about the PF.com reviews, nor indeed much in what people post there.

Unlike elsewhere, a lot of them own other brands and there's no prohibition on talking about them. There's a certain amount of uncritical crap occasionally, not least since the K-3 came out, but I think it's genuine enthusiasm coupled with lack of knowledge of the scientific process (needed for useful comparisons) rather than the sort of wide-eyed, pollyanna-esque, censored determination to see only the advantages of Pentax gear that we've all seen.

And indeed the guy that runs PF.com also runs www.nikonforums.com , so I don't think he has any material bias.

I'm in the camp that believes an DSLR if for stills and a movie camera is for movies. Simples!

Can't agree with this.

Imagine excellent quality, sensor-stabilised HD video, proper (optional!) AF during a take, and all the advantages of interchangeable lenses - phwoar!

All without spending another fortune on a video camera.

13 Nov '13 Wed Nov 13, 2013 16:38    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

I guess we'll just have to disagree on the movies bit then Chris. My wife's got an HD Panasonic camera she's had for 3 or 4 years now. It's a smaller, lighter and a lot better in low light than anything I've had in my hand, with the single exception that my stills of the ceiling of the church in Mdina last month were truer from my K5 II. Very Happy

If there was the option to buy a K3 lite with no movies capability, how many would spend the extra for the full version I wonder? And as for spending a fortune on it, she didn't. Under £400 IRRC

Agree the reviews on PF tend to be pretty straight - which was what I was trying to put across! Smile

13 Nov '13 Wed Nov 13, 2013 16:42    
Charlotte
  •  

You seem to have got a few nice photos from your adventure. Farmers are quite used to pulling cars out of ditches and such like up this way - I've given them plenty of practice. Laughing
Unfortunately there are too many trees along that stretch of river to enable many decent wide (long) shots, especially as they've put that monstrosity of a 'bridge' smack bang in the middle. As you've discovered the water reflections and rocks are the really interesting things. In some lights you can see the colours reflected in the water moving downstream making streaky patterns. If I ever get my K5 back my first lot of photos will be long exposures at the river concentrating on that now that I have a ten stop filter. (That's assuming there are any leaves left on the trees to produce coloured reflections of course. Rolling Eyes )

T'was unfortunate that the water level was high - there's no rhyme or reason for that in respect of the weather - I think the Hydro Electric Barrage at Eguzon plays a role.

Congrats DS on getting your K5 at last. I think you are going to love it once you get used to the different controls.

Je Suis Charlie

13 Nov '13 Wed Nov 13, 2013 17:12    
Charlotte
  •  

- Chris

And indeed the guy that runs PF.com also runs www.nikonforums.com , so I don't think he has any material bias.

That looks fairly new - does one suppose there are a lot more people moving to Nikon than we realise perhaps.

I could be tempted to join to try to win a camera Laughing Laughing

Je Suis Charlie

Link  QR 
Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   google+   linkedin   twitthis  
Show more ...
Go to page  1, 2  Next

Go to page  2  Next

pentaxslr Non-Human Visitor Terms and Conditions of Use