Backdrops

Studio Photography, Flash, Daylight and Studio Lights, Flash equipment and use

3 Jul '14 Thu Jul 03, 2014 14:41    
Gravelrash
Member / f4.0  Member / f4.0
  •  

Post Backdrops

For a keen amateur I can't grumble at my current kit but one thing I would like to get is some kind of backdrop for the occasional portrait shot.

I don't have room for it to stay in one place so it needs to be compact and then usable straight from storage.

I have seen some gear that friends/relatives have got cheap but they always seem to be a material that looks like it needs ironing every time you want to use it.

Anyone had any inexpensive kit that might be a little less toublesome?

Please offer any experiences, good or bad, or links to decent kit that might fit my needs.

Cheers

Steve

3 Jul '14 Thu Jul 03, 2014 16:11    
mcpieman
Member / f22  Member / f22
  •  

Post Re: Backdrops

I've got a roll of this

ebay

The guy is from Bolton and dropped it off for me saving postage (I offered to pick it up), its pretty thick and heavy so doesn't need ironing, can be wiped clean, it needs some sturdy clips to hold it up too.

Cheers Steve

3 Jul '14 Thu Jul 03, 2014 16:56    
cardiff_gareth
Founder Member  
  •  

First off buy a decent heavy duty background stand. They're only a little bit more expensive but worth it, especially if you plan to shoot portraits in peoples houses! Don't want to test that public liability insurance !

What you're describing is muslin cotton. Plus point is you can adjust the background to suit whatever size your room is but that's it! It creases like mad and they show up terribly. Even if you pull it taught with big clips on the background upright stand poles there'll be there still! It takes ages in PP to remove them! Then there's lighting it, it absorbs light like it's going out of business! Another downside is muslin cotton is for the backdrop only, not the floor so full length portraits are out, try and join the backdrop to floor and you'll understand the nightmare!

Much better to buy a vinyl roll! Downside you will always need a space that's 3m long and 2m high so customers may have to move their room around to make it fit but! Even lighting, no creases, easier to light, more professional looking, no join at floor - infinity curve!

Gareth

My outfit: K5ii gripped - Pentax DA* 16-50mm - Sigma 105mm - Sigma 170-500mm - Pentax F 50mm f1.7 - Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 - Metz 48 AF1

My Flickr

My PPG images

500px

3 Jul '14 Thu Jul 03, 2014 17:38    
Gravelrash
Member / f4.0  Member / f4.0
  •  

Thanks fellas...looks like I'm buying vinyl.

Much appreciated Very Happy

Regards...Steve

"When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite." Winston Churchill

3 Jul '14 Thu Jul 03, 2014 18:37    
Offertonhatter
Member / f5.6  Member / f5.6
  •  

Depends on the colour, distance and lighting.

But firstly a good solid stand is vital as Gareth said. I have the Calumet one and even if it is not the quote heavy duty one, it is very sturdy. You don't want it to fall over at the slightest touch.

Now backdrops.

I have three muslins, a jet black, a white and the hand dyed blue.
If you have space and put the black a few feet behind (5+ really) and don't light it, only the subject, any creases will not show.
The White is a pain but stretch it and through lots of light at it from two angles, the creases go, but it is hard work
The blue? well it does not matter about creases as the colour is not constant it gives extra texture.

Mind you I do have a pair of paper rolls. a full width white one for hi-key and a half width neutral grey which I have not used yet but will be a nice balance for single portraits.
The white one can be a pain to transport but thankfully I have an estate car (well a sport tourer as the makers call it Smile )

Proud Pentax User with K-5, K20D, K10D, *istDS, lots of lenses. Oh and plenty of Pentax Film cameras too

Link  QR 
Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   google+   linkedin   twitthis  
Show more ...

Forum Permissions - You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

pentaxslr Non-Human Visitor Terms and Conditions of Use