What's ............

Covering PENTAX 645 and 6x7, inclusive of film and digital

20 Jul '14 Sun Jul 20, 2014 17:32    
Charlotte
Founder Member +  Founder Member +
  •  

Post What's ............

............ so special about medium format then.

One of my favourite photographers, Ian Cameron shoots with a 67II (if he hasn't updated) and he takes images that make me cry - but I'm sure he'd do just as good with a matchbox with a hole in it.

So what is it about these cameras that make them so expensive?

Charlotte

20 Jul '14 Sun Jul 20, 2014 18:10    
mannesty
Founder Member  
  •  

Post Re: What's ............

I guess a substantial influence on their price is supply and demand for them Charlotte.

Most families nowadays could afford a SLR/DSLR, not so an MF camera unless it's an older film model.

Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

"Knowledge is knowing that a Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to use it in a fruit salad."

20 Jul '14 Sun Jul 20, 2014 19:27    
Chris
  •  

Until recently it was very expensive to make a big, defect-free sensor. At a guess, the price drop we've seen with the digital 645 series in recent times reflects better fab techniques.

23 Jul '14 Wed Jul 23, 2014 18:05    
Charlotte
  •  

Are they any better than a dslr ?

Does anyone actually own one of these ?

I'm just not sure I see the point of maying out that amount of money for a camera tbh. Confused

Je Suis Charlie

23 Jul '14 Wed Jul 23, 2014 18:37    
Offertonhatter
Member / f5.6  Member / f5.6
  •  

I have a Rolleiflex (a 1958 model) and a Bronica ETRS.

Are they better than a DSLR? Well yes and no.

No:-
They are BIG, not ideal for travelling around/street/long range birding/sport.
You only get up to 12 shots with 120 roll film
They are very slow to use
Not as good as large format/plate cameras

Yes:-
They are stunning for landscapes and Portraits, and with a macro lens, stunning for that too. They can be used for street, albeit your arms certainly feel it, and the looks on peoples faces is fun.
They slow you down and think more
The Image quality, aaah the Image quality. There is something about the sheer detail, texture, DOF, and magic of a photograph that has been taken with any camera that uses 120 roll film, that you cannot replicate with 35mm film or FF, let alone APS-C, M43 etc. Imagine the delightful shots you get using the 55mm F1.8 and multiply it many times.

I won't mention how much I paid (or not paid) for my two MF cameras as you will hate me for life. However just looking on Ffordes web site, they have a complete Bronica ETRSi with film back and 75mm Lens for £250. Bonus is if MF is not for you you can sell it again for the same price. So that is a big MF camera for less than a new K-500, or not much more than a new MX-1

Pentax 67 and Larger 67 type cameras like the Mamiya 67 or Bronica SQ do fetch a lot more Sad Crying or Very sad

If you can afford one, get one, get some Ilford Delta B+W and Fuji Pro 400H film and relish in the delight of MF. Very Happy

Proud Pentax User with K-5, K20D, K10D, *istDS, lots of lenses. Oh and plenty of Pentax Film cameras too

24 Jul '14 Thu Jul 24, 2014 21:23    
Charlotte
  •  

Manual focus would suit me down to the ground, I don't trust auto focus very often.

I've often thought about trying an old film camera with manual everything which would be right up my street - except for the film aspect.
I wouldn't know how to go about processing film.

Do you have any photos you could post using one of your MF cameras ?

Je Suis Charlie

25 Jul '14 Fri Jul 25, 2014 17:17    
DrOrloff
Winner Project 12 - 2015  Winner Project 12 - 2015
  •  

Four and a bit times the sensor size of APSC and 1.7 times full frame. But I very much doubt that the difference is appreciable on a computer screen. For landscape examples Mike Oria uses a 645D.

For the cost then I think it is rather marginal. The difference between the 645Z and full frame will reduce when the next generation sensor comes out. There are time limited diminishing returns at that level so the justification is either serious commercial exploitation or a lottery win. K mount full frame makes much more sense to most of us Pentaxians. It doesn't really matter if medium format is Pentax or not since it requires completely new lenses.

25 Jul '14 Fri Jul 25, 2014 18:46    
Offertonhatter
Member / f5.6  Member / f5.6
  •  

Charlotte, here are some examples. As Dr Orloff has said, you may not appreciate the detail on a computer screen, then again I have re-sized the images for the likes of flickr.

Still, I hope they do show the effect of MF. as it is there.
Once I finish the rolls currently in the camera backs (Delta100 and Reala) I will have some better examples.

In the meantime, enjoy.

• printworks.jpg
  • printworks.jpg
  • signposts.jpg
  • signposts.jpg
  • fire window at manchester cathedral.jpg
  • fire window at manchester cathedral.jpg

Proud Pentax User with K-5, K20D, K10D, *istDS, lots of lenses. Oh and plenty of Pentax Film cameras too

26 Jul '14 Sat Jul 26, 2014 19:47    
Charlotte
  •  

Thanks for those - there is something about film isn't there. I'd like to see some others when you've processed them. Cool

When Ricoh bring out a full frame Pentax that's going to involve buying more lenses for most people though isn't it. Not everyone has been squirelling away old lenses in preparation I shouldn't think.

I've just been engrossed in Mike Oria's gallery - wish I hadn't looked though, they're absolutely fantastic photos. Very Happy

Je Suis Charlie

1 Feb '15 Sun Feb 01, 2015 23:33    
Dangermouse
Founder Member  
  •  

I don't have a Pentax medium format camera. I'd like a 6x7 but even battered examples in need of replacement parts and/or servicing go for silly money.

What I do have is a Bronica ETRSi.

The ETR series shoot 645, and with a 50mm lens (equivalent to a 28mm on 35mm film) they're very compact, lightweight cameras. Unlike the Pentax 645 you get interchangeable viewfinders and can swap films mid roll thanks to the interchangeable film backs. Which is why I was somewhat baffled when one notorious fanboy described them as "primitive"!

An ETRSi with waist level finder, 50mm or 75mm lens and a roll of Ilford FP4 or HP5 is brilliant if you want to walk around and shoot some landscapes or cityscapes. It doesn't scream "camera" like a DSLR would as you're cradling it at chest height and looking down into it, and the ergonomics are great. You can have either hand under the camera and focus with the other one, depending on preference.

The really weird part? I have the metered prism viewfinder. I get better images if I use "Sunny 16" and guess the exposure!

Processing Ilford B&W is as easy as it gets. The only difficult part is loading the developing tank in absolute darkness, and a roll of 120 is much easier to keep under control than a 36 exposure roll of 35mm. After that it's just a case of following the instructions and keeping a clock or watch visible to time it accurately. You'll need a scanner which can handle 120 format.

The wacky alternative - look for an old Zeiss folding camera. I bought one a few years ago which turned out to date from the early 1930s, it shoots 6x9 on 120 film. I think the shutter is a bit slower than it should be (loath to fiddle as replacement parts simply don't exist) and it's a bit of a handful with only a distance scale to focus by, but when you get it right the results can be incredible. Paid £25 for it from a reputable ebay dealer.

“Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.”
― Mark Twain

K-5, K2, SFX. Lenses from 1975 to 2012

2 Feb '15 Mon Feb 02, 2015 07:28    
sasastro
Member / f1.4  Member / f1.4
  •  

Coincidently I've just taken over ownership of one of these...

Yashica-Mat
by sasastro, on Flickr

I'm going to wait until the nicer weather then get some film and give it a go.

Google +
Flickr
Photo Blog

2 Feb '15 Mon Feb 02, 2015 15:02    
Dangermouse
Founder Member  
  •  

If you buy a roll of HP5 you can safely try it now, there's more than enough light on brighter days. I usually just drop the shutter speed a stop or two to preserve depth of field with the Bronica.

“Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.”
― Mark Twain

K-5, K2, SFX. Lenses from 1975 to 2012

Link  QR 
Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   google+   linkedin   twitthis  
Show more ...

Forum Permissions - You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum