Skomer Island July 2016

Post your PENTAX dslr/slr photos that do not fit in the specific categories here

19 Jul '16 Tue Jul 19, 2016 18:48    
SteveEveritt
Founder Member +  Founder Member +
  •  

Post Skomer Island July 2016

This time I did the right thing and took a single lens..... The Beast
One thing I came away with was utter frustration, sadly Pentax AF isn't very good.
My mate Mark had his Canon 70D with a Sigma 50-500 and seemed to be quite happy whereas I was cussing all the time because my kit simply wasn't picking anything up. His on the other hand was able to pick up the tiny puffins and follow them almost constantly. You could feel and hear the lens making tiny adjustments to keep the birds in focus. My Beast on the K-3 would (if I was lucky) find the bird and that was it, kind of like, there you go I found it, but the bird had moved on and the focus hadn't Evil or Very Mad
I managed to get a few birds as they flew parallel to me and only one that came towards me in around a thousand shots. I'm hammering my shutter in the hope I get one in focus, not good. When it nailed one it was very good, but...
For everything else the Pentax is sensational, anything that requires the AF to keep up with a small object in the VF, especially coming head on, forget it Mad

Full album here

Some samples.
Wren

Oystercatcher

Puffin without sandeels

Meadow pippet (I think)

Puffin with sandeels

The brochure puffin shot

My flickr Photostream

19 Jul '16 Tue Jul 19, 2016 19:12    
sasastro
Member / f1.4  Member / f1.4
  •  

Post Re: Skomer Island July 2016

Super photos Steve, and how nice to get Puffins. Have to say I find Pentax AF frustrating too Sad

Google +
Flickr
Photo Blog

19 Jul '16 Tue Jul 19, 2016 19:17    
SteveEveritt
  •  

If you like puffins, and who doesn't, then take a trip to Skomer Island, they run past your feet Very Happy

My flickr Photostream

19 Jul '16 Tue Jul 19, 2016 19:20    
sasastro
  •  

- SteveEveritt

If you like puffins, and who doesn't, then take a trip to Skomer Island, they run past your feet Very Happy

Can I get there by bus? Laughing

Google +
Flickr
Photo Blog

21 Jul '16 Thu Jul 21, 2016 19:24    
SteveEveritt
  •  

- sasastro

- SteveEveritt

Mega Bus from London to Swansea, there's probably a connection to Haverfordwest then hitch a lift from there Very Happy

My flickr Photostream

23 Jul '16 Sat Jul 23, 2016 20:24    
sasastro
  •  

- SteveEveritt

- sasastro

- SteveEveritt

Mega Bus from London to Swansea, there's probably a connection to Haverfordwest then hitch a lift from there Very Happy

First there's the 45 minute walk to the rail station then the 2 hours to get from there to London. See you next week some time. Laughing

Google +
Flickr
Photo Blog

24 Jul '16 Sun Jul 24, 2016 09:46    
oldjoe
Member / f4.0  Member / f4.0
  •  

then it pours down with rain Smile after all you are going to Wales Laughing still got some excellent shots Steve, so for head on it will be back to the old "machine gun" mode then Crying or Very sad

24 Jul '16 Sun Jul 24, 2016 16:37    
SteveEveritt
  •  

- oldjoe

then it pours down with rain Smile after all you are going to Wales Laughing still got some excellent shots Steve, so for head on it will be back to the old "machine gun" mode then Crying or Very sad

Yes sadly, and hope for the best. My DA*300 + 1.4HD tc was faster at nailing head on shots than the Beast is Sad

My flickr Photostream

Link  QR 
Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   google+   linkedin   twitthis  
Show more ...

Forum Permissions - You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

pentaxslr Non-Human Visitor Terms and Conditions of Use