Alquezar

PENTAX dslr or slr photos taken in Low Light

30 Oct '16 Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:35    
Crossed-up
Founder Member +  Founder Member +
  •  

Post Alquezar

Some low light shots from the Pyrenees trip. As a mid trip treat we booked two days at an apartment in the medieval town of Alquezar. It was a bizarre place mixing the ancient and modern and we arrived to chaos as the town square was being closed for a gig, which seems to coincide with some sort of wedding party with its own street band. I'll post up a separte thread with the daytime pics.

Photoshelter
K3|DA10-17|DA18-55WR|DA16-45|DA55-300|DA*200|DA*50-135|DA*300|Sigma150-500

Aperture 3

30 Oct '16 Sun Oct 30, 2016 21:06    
sasastro
Member / f1.4  Member / f1.4
  •  

Post Re: Alquezar

Some super photos here, I particularly like no 4, the glimpse of what's going on outside of that dark area. Super lighting.

Google +
Flickr
Photo Blog

31 Oct '16 Mon Oct 31, 2016 08:23    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Great set. After dark photography always presents interesting challenges, especially when the scene isn't static. Good for TAV I find, though always needs some time in Lightroom to sort out noise. Stopped trying to recover the blacks and now apply a negative modifier of 15 or 25 - blackens the blacks and hides some of the noise.

31 Oct '16 Mon Oct 31, 2016 08:42    
sasastro
  •  

What's a negative modifier Steve?

Google +
Flickr
Photo Blog

3 Nov '16 Thu Nov 03, 2016 16:05    
SteveEveritt
Founder Member +  Founder Member +
  •  

Nice work as ever Thumbs Up
Yes Steve, what is a negative modifier?

My flickr Photostream

4 Nov '16 Fri Nov 04, 2016 09:15    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

In Lightroom's Develop module, basic section, there are four sliders labeled 'Highlights', 'Shadows', 'Whites' and 'Blacks'. The histogram above indicates whether it thinks the adjustment is needed to the left (blacks & shadows) and/or right ends (Whites & Highlights) with 2 squares in the top corners i.e. in old speak, whether a bit of dodging or burning is appropriate.

With night shots, apart from the need to dampen down highlights from lights or other bright light sources, your instinct is to move the blacks slider to the right -a positive adjustment - to get right of the white square and its follow up coloured versions until it's clear. I tried doing the reverse adjustment - a negative movement of the slider and found that the result was the dark areas became more black, noise was less and colours deeper. So I now ignore (or switch off) the left hand box and add a negative value to the Blacks of 15 or 25 as standard.

It works most of the time as you'll see if you take a peak at my Guilin Night Cruise or Shanghai Night Views albums where I used this approach. See

Guilin - 4 Lakes Night Cruise

or

Shanghai - Night Views

My other default adjustments which will have been applied are Contrast +10, Clarity +20, Vibrance +20, Landscape sharpening preset with masking at 75 for DA* 16-50, 85 for DA* 60-250. Noise reduction will have been added on a case by case basis.

Hope that explains what I was indicating in my earlier post

5 Nov '16 Sat Nov 05, 2016 22:15    
sasastro
  •  

It does indeed explain it Steve, and very clearly too. Thank you, I'm going to experiment with this

Google +
Flickr
Photo Blog

5 Nov '16 Sat Nov 05, 2016 23:10    
sasastro
  •  

Not the best photo to work with but the best that I could find, how did I do Steve?

Bridges of London by sasastro, on Flickr

Google +
Flickr
Photo Blog

6 Nov '16 Sun Nov 06, 2016 08:26    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Looks fine Sas. You loose some detail but for me the result is worth it. This image was ISO 1600 from the EXIF I saw earlier, so the noise wouldn't have been great but negative adjustment ought to have darkened the sky where the noise would have been most visible. The colours in flood lit bridge to the middle ground should be stronger, also the reflected pools of golden light.

It's counter intuitive as all the manuals tell you to adjust the blacks to recover the detail in the under exposed areas. Sometimes it's worth being different - or at least seeing what a different approach achieves. Lightroom allows you to create a virtual copy, so you can compare the two results side by side and go with which ever you like best/suites your style.

6 Nov '16 Sun Nov 06, 2016 08:38    
sasastro
  •  

- Steve_7HC

Looks fine Sas. You loose some detail but for me the result is worth it. This image was ISO 1600 from the EXIF I saw earlier, so the noise wouldn't have been great but negative adjustment ought to have darkened the sky where the noise would have been most visible. The colours in flood lit bridge to the middle ground should be stronger, also the reflected pools of golden light.

It's counter intuitive as all the manuals tell you to adjust the blacks to recover the detail in the under exposed areas. Sometimes it's worth being different - or at least seeing what a different approach achieves. Lightroom allows you to create a virtual copy, so you can compare the two results side by side and go with which ever you like best/suites your style.

Thanks Steve, the base photo wasn't the best but next time I get the opportunity to get some night shots I'll up the iso, I've noticed from yours how this method does indeed reduce noise.

Google +
Flickr
Photo Blog

Link  QR 
Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   google+   linkedin   twitthis  
Show more ...

Forum Permissions - You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum