Christmas lights tips please?

PENTAX Digital slrs: technology, equipment, use, tips, tricks, on digital photography

23 Nov '17 Thu Nov 23, 2017 20:05    
sasastro
Member / f1.4  Member / f1.4
  •  

Post Christmas lights tips please?

Hi all,

Can anyone give me tips on photographing Christmas lights? I>E> settings etc. It would have to be handheld as I've done my back in so can't be carrying a tripod around

Google +
Flickr
Photo Blog

24 Nov '17 Fri Nov 24, 2017 09:23    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Post Re: Christmas lights tips please?

I usually shoot Bath's Christmas market with the cameras set to TAV, f5.6 and 1/180 sec. That shutter speed should be fast enough to freeze most movement and the aperture provide adequate DoF. Depending on what you are shooting and how strong the stall is lit, I'd expect an ISO in the range 3200 to 6400 with a few up at 12800. When you get them back and view them in LR, don't try to recover the blacks as you would normally expect to, try a -15 or -25 setting instead. Removes a lot of visible noise and the colours are stronger and the dark areas blacker without being OTT.

I'll be out next Tuesday evening with the K1 (and my new Black Friday purchase - an HD D-FA 70-200) using those settings.

HTH

Steve

24 Nov '17 Fri Nov 24, 2017 17:03    
sasastro
Member / f1.4  Member / f1.4
  •  

Thanks for the tip Steve, I'm not sure when I'll be getting out to do local lights but it's nice to go armed with the right settings. Well done on that Black Friday buy

Google +
Flickr
Photo Blog

29 Nov '17 Wed Nov 29, 2017 09:01    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Interesting exercise last night shooting the Christmas Market with the K1 and the HD D-FA 70-200. Shutter speed ranges aren't the same as the K3/K5/K7 etc so I ended up using 1/160 rather than 1/180 or 1/200 (the next faster option). At f5.6 I was getting ISO results from 10000 through to 40000, depending on the target and the general level of the lighting the matrix metering setting was seeing. Drop the aperture setting to f3.5 with the same shutter speed and the ISO range general kept around 5000 +/- 1000. But for shooting individual lights found around/above the stalls, f5.6 and 1/160 was fine.

Plan to repeat the exercise next Tuesday but with the D-FA 24-70mm as the mid range zoom was general a bit toooo long for most of what I was doing, so had to stand back further and that increases the risk of walk throughs. Usually people don't stop whilst you are stood with a camera up to the eye and trying to get a shot but last night was exceptional.

Link  QR 
Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   google+   linkedin   twitthis  
Show more ...

Forum Permissions - You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

pentaxslr Non-Human Visitor Terms and Conditions of Use