New D-FA* 50mm f1.4

Lenses suitable for PENTAX 35mm, 645 and/or APS slrs, Digital or Film

30 Jun '18 Sat Jun 30, 2018 07:43    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Post New D-FA* 50mm f1.4

Out shortly but just wonder why anyone would pay £1200 for this lens when you can get the FA version, complete with an aperture ring, for a third of the price?

30 Jun '18 Sat Jun 30, 2018 14:10    
layingback
Site Administrator  Site Administrator
  •  

Post Re: New D-FA* 50mm f1.4

That thought had occurred! Wink

I presume the thinking is that for "later higher resolving Pentax bodies" - whatever they are (K1/K1ii?) - that this extra 800 quid will get you more excited when you pixel peep. Or display as an A0 print as you do. Smile

So if you have the cash; and a specific photo op, like a studio shoot where you can drive your gear close to the site not carry; and the critical isolation of the background/foreground demands 1.4 and not a fraction more; and this will occur sufficiently frequently - or unexpectedly - that a lens hire is inconceivable as a solution. Then I guess you can form a line along with all the others with similar needs! Oh, and those who want one solely because they exist! Shocked

More pragmatically, if this helps Ricoh keep the brand alive by bringing in needed funds, then more power to them. But I remain sceptical that this would be the maximal profit strategy when faced with the choice of what do you develop next.

Surely the development of the FA version is well and truly a sunk cost by now Laughing

Perhaps Ricoh/PENTAX see the PR surrounding a new lens as effectively a spend on advertising? They do precious little other. Just 1 not very spectacular email, pictorially, every 3 -4 months.

More cynically, it is a Japanese company, so perhaps the head honcho of Ricoh at one time mentioned that he'd like one ... Smile That'd do it!

My Own Personal Web Page on PENTAXslr.eu   <-- you can have one too

Link  QR 
Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   google+   linkedin   twitthis  
Show more ...

Forum Permissions - You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

pentaxslr Non-Human Visitor Terms and Conditions of Use