What do you guys use . . .

Digital Image Processing, eg. Photoshop,GIMP, LightRoom, DarkTable

18 May '18 Fri May 18, 2018 16:15    
mannesty
Founder Member  
  •  

Post What do you guys use . . .

. . . for post processing hardware/software nowadays?

Hi all, it's been a while I know, but having moved house the back end of 2015 I've been extremely busy making some house repairs and gardening. My camera's is not even gathering dust, it sits in it's bag in a cupboard for most of the year and since I aquired my son's 'old' Samsung Galaxy S6+ phone, I haven't even given the MX-1 an outing. The Samsung phone camera does all I need at the moment.

Anyway, back to my question. I used On1's Photo apps a while back and bought into their PhotoRAW 2017 product (PC version). It failed miserably with so many crashes that, for me, it was unusable. I now have a pretty high end PC so I'm 99.99% certain it was not at fault. I did upgrade to the PhotoRAW 2018 version and that is a lot better, I can actually complete a photo editing session with it now. It still does not have all of the niceities of Lightroom though, but it does negate my need for Photoshop as it has layers and effects that work very well. With another update coming in June, it looks like it could be a viable alternative to the Lightroom/Photoshop bundle subscription.

I do still subscribe to the Adobe stuff but if On1 PhotoRAW 2018/2019 continues to make the advances it has, I may well cancel my Adobe subscription next year.

I also occasionally use Topaz Labs Studio product and software from Anthropics Technology, their Smart Photo Editor - Studio, Landscape Pro Studio and Portrait Pro Studio.

What do you guys use for your work/hobby? Anybody else using On1 PhotRAW?

Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

"Knowledge is knowing that a Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to use it in a fruit salad."

19 May '18 Sat May 19, 2018 07:46    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Post Re: What do you guys use . . .

Still use LR6.12 and won't be upgrading to LR7 - don't like the subscription model and Adobe's engineers aren't properly testing the incremental releases - bugs and issues problems fill my in box daily!

I have On1 PhotoRaw 2018 and will probably use this in due course, but as it doesn't have a publishing module (yet?), not for a while. Doesn't have the same feel as LR but as I've been using it in some form or other since LR1, not surprising. I have downloaded Darktable for Windows - this is work in progress and thus not quite ready as a LR replacement.

I have a number of plug-ins - Nik, Topaz etc which I use infrequently.

All my kit is covered by LR6.12, so no missing profiles for lenses driving any immediate need for a change.

20 May '18 Sun May 20, 2018 17:51    
Algernon
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Not used it yet, but Raw Therapee is essential for proper pixel shift ..... see ...

www.clubsnap.com/threa...234/page-7

This guy has only used Lightroom, but his pixel shift shots of butterflies are amazing....

Unfortunately on Depressing Review Crying or Very sad

www.dpreview.com/forum...ad/4281981

--

Algi

20 May '18 Sun May 20, 2018 19:24    
layingback
Site Administrator  Site Administrator
  •  

darktable as I'm on Linux, haven't used windows in more than a decade!

The non destructive editing is very equivalent to lightroom according to those who use both. Very light on the print side, and a bit light on the organisation side. But I'm more than happy with the the pp bit. Especially now it has just got a haze removal tool/module.

It has just become available on Windows. The code was always biuldable on Windows or Linux on a DIY basis, but a windows developer has stepped up to do the support so it's now available as an install.

Free as in beer and GPL. And a lot of the input side is basically the same as LR, as Adobe wasn't shy when it came to acquiring FOSS tools!

My Own Personal Web Page on PENTAXslr.eu   <-- you can have one too

2 Jul '18 Mon Jul 02, 2018 04:14    
waldbaer59
  •  

Mostly Darktable (I'm a Linux user), but pixel shift pictures are converted to the tiff format with Raw Therapee.

2 Jul '18 Mon Jul 02, 2018 08:01    
layingback
Site Administrator  Site Administrator
  •  

@waldbaer59, Welcome!

I've just discovered these instructions for updating lensfun so that darktable can get the latest lens data. Needed by me as it doesn't support the Tamron 70-200 with the version of lensfun in the Ubuntu repository. But darktable does now Smile It also now matches the Pentax 18-135 straight away, without the extra [] problem.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/333586-darktable-pixel-shift.html#post3992991

Thought it might be useful to others.

My Own Personal Web Page on PENTAXslr.eu   <-- you can have one too

26 Aug '18 Sun Aug 26, 2018 16:10    
mannesty
Founder Member  
  •  

Well I did cancel my Adobe subscription and uninstalled LR and PS. My subscription expires tomorrow and despite a reduced price offer (saves about £12 over the year) I will not be renewing. On1 PhotoRAW is now stable enough for me to have enough confidence in it to use it full time.

I've added Affinity Photo from Serif to my arsenal recently and it's very impressive. Between the two I should be able to accomplish 99.999% of my image maipulation needs and I have a copy of PS CS4 for any really tricky stuff.

If you haven't tried On1 PhotoRAW yet, why not give it a go, they have a 30 day trial download available. www.on1.com/

I hope to get out and do some proper photography soon when the summer heat has reduced somewhat. 35C here today and high humidity.

Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

"Knowledge is knowing that a Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to use it in a fruit salad."

Link  QR 
Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   google+   linkedin   twitthis  
Show more ...

Forum Permissions - You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

pentaxslr Non-Human Visitor Terms and Conditions of Use