Pentax K5 II & K5 IIs officially launched.

Comments on Latest News Articles - New Posts not supported in this forum - Replies OK

11 Sep '12 Tue Sep 11, 2012 08:42    
SteveEveritt
Founder Member +  Founder Member +
  •  

Post K-5 mark II (s)

Two new k5 models! If canon can have a mark II then why can't Pentax! This leaves room for a k-3 full frame. I'm excited, I'm not sure whether to get the II or the IIs. The latter has no AA screen but apparently this may cause moire. If my forte is macro which am I better having?
7 fps, faster and more accurate AF, locks moving subjects, great at the kart track.
Can't wait.

11 Sep '12 Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:28    
snake
Member / f5.6  Member / f5.6
  •  

Post Re: K-5 mark II (s)

Myself, I have to double-think the non-AA model. I just got my K-5 and I'm quite happy with it, actually. The AF is a bit something to deal with, but it works, nonetheless. If 5DII owners are getting what they get, then there's no reason to not get anything with the K-5, as I feel the 5DII has an inferior AF system, aside from contrast needs for a lock.

I was at a concert shoot in Switzerland, which many pics were aggressively sharp (according to my own settings). This can be good or bad, or cure some soft-focus shots.

Basically, I'm saying I process aggressively sharp sometimes and with high contrast, so possibly the non-AA model could be for me, or it could make things go too far. Mainly, I'd like AF improvement, particularly the reduction of size of AF points and better ability for them to find focus in low contrast situations.

Outside of that, I don't see it a huge deal that one needs to jump ship from a K-5 if it's serving them well already.

If macro is your thing, it might work, but I think you'll have to wait and see. We don't know how aggressive the non-AA model will be and how the sensor will handle moire or induce it.

My blog: www.delugephoto.blogspot.com

11 Sep '12 Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:56    
Charlotte
  •  

Post Pentax K5 II & K5 IIs officially launched.

Click to follow Link to Original Article.

12 Sep '12 Wed Sep 12, 2012 14:44    
Charlotte
  •  

Post Re: Pentax K5 II & K5 IIs officially launched.

I've just read this;

The big (only) difference between the Pentax K-5 II and Pentax K-5 IIs is that the K-5 IIs doesn't have an anti-aliasing filter over the sensor.

This filter reduces moiré patterning, which can be visible when subjects have fine repeating lines. It also softens the images slightly, and photographers who are interested in extracting the maximum amount of detail from an image may prefer to opt for the Pentax K-5II s.

That wouldn't be any good for me with Macro as I need sharpness and detail. Presumably you'd have to do a bit more sharpening in processing.

Je Suis Charlie

12 Sep '12 Wed Sep 12, 2012 18:50    
layingback
Site Administrator  Site Administrator
  •  

Post Re: Pentax K5 II & K5 IIs officially launched.

If I understad this correctly, then the IIs is better for macro. It loses a little on general image correction (eg the fuzzy moire effect on ties and striped shirts on TV) in lieu of razor sharp resolution - and the user has to fix any moire issues.

But £150 to eliminate a filter smacks a little of Porsche pricing, where the lightwight versions cost more, but they thoughfiully delete the a/c, radio, the door handles, etc.

My Own Personal Web Page on PENTAXslr.eu   <-- you can have one too

14 Sep '12 Fri Sep 14, 2012 16:50    
thoughton
Member / f2.8  Member / f2.8
  •  

Post Re: Pentax K5 II &amp; K5 IIs officially launched.

- Charlotte

I've just read this;

The big (only) difference between the Pentax K-5 II and Pentax K-5 IIs is that the K-5 IIs doesn't have an anti-aliasing filter over the sensor.

This filter reduces moiré patterning, which can be visible when subjects have fine repeating lines. It also softens the images slightly, and photographers who are interested in extracting the maximum amount of detail from an image may prefer to opt for the Pentax K-5II s.

That wouldn't be any good for me with Macro as I need sharpness and detail. Presumably you'd have to do a bit more sharpening in processing.

To clarify, all Pentax DSLRs - apart from the K-5 IIs - have the AA filter. So you are using an AA filter now. The idea is that removing the filter will increase sharpness, but for images with lots of fine lines (e.g. a closeup photo of textiles) you would have to faff around with removing moire (and de-mosaicing probably).

K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 24/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, T3C-2 100/2, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6, MTO 1000/11
FlickrPhotoblogPPGNeed inspiration?

14 Sep '12 Fri Sep 14, 2012 17:43    
Charlotte
  •  

Post Re: Pentax K5 II &amp; K5 IIs officially launched.

Ahhh, thanks thoughton, Very Happy

That makes more sense now. So the K5II is just a replacement model for the K5 with the auto focus 'fixed' then.

Je Suis Charlie

Link  QR 
Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   google+   linkedin   twitthis  
Show more ...

Forum Permissions - You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

pentaxslr Non-Human Visitor Terms and Conditions of Use