Studio Photography, Flash, Daylight and Studio Lights, Flash equipment and use
Reply to topicReply to topic
Go to page  1, 2  Next 

24 Oct '12 Wed Oct 24, 2012 08:40    
ronH
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Post compatable flash units for K5

I recall several queries regarding compatable flash units. Is there now a database detailing suitable units? My interest is in Cobra , specifically the MD 210 and the Chinon Pro 1090C.

regards RonH.

24 Oct '12 Wed Oct 24, 2012 09:18    
layingback
Site Administrator  Site Administrator
  •  

Post Re: compatable flash units for K5

Hi Ron,

There are 2 sites:

http://dpanswers.com/roztr/volt_finder.php which covers all the bases, background, etc., but is a tad light on the range of flash guns covered.

And the basic but much more complete www.botzilla.com/photo...Volts.html

Didn't find the MD210 under that name. However the Pro 1090C is definitely high for long term use, and may or may not be safe for occasional use depending on what you believe the Pentax cameras can handle.

At a minimum they should be able to handle 25volts as that's the industry standard spec, but some believe Pentax can handle 10x that. I don't think I'd risk it ...

My Own Personal Web Page on PENTAXslr.eu   <-- you can have one too

24 Oct '12 Wed Oct 24, 2012 14:19    
ronH
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Thanks for that. guess they are for binning. Better than frying the K5.

regards RonH.

24 Oct '12 Wed Oct 24, 2012 14:38    
layingback
  •  

Noooo! There are many ways to trigger a hi-volt flash without frying a K-5. Even if you didn't want to use such methods, others might.

You can buy simple units that go between the camera and the flashes hotshoes and buffer the voltage.

You can use optical flash triggers to trigger the flash from another flash, even the onboard one if your optical trigger can ignore the annoying P-TTL pre-flash.

You can use simple radio triggers to fire the flash instead of cables - many exist at many price points, just be sure to get one which isn't limited to 12v, or you'll be back where you started from.

Me, I fire multiple 280v Vivitars using basic optical triggers which are in turn tripped via a safe 6v Vivitar 283 cabled to the camera. I just have to be careful not to muddle them up! Wink

What are the flashes? TTL, Auto, Manual or some mix of?

24 Oct '12 Wed Oct 24, 2012 16:38    
ronH
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

My main use of the K5 is in close up and macro, even then I try to use natural light, only occasionally using the onboard flash.
I have the Pentax 280T if I do want to ever use a seperate flash.
I was asking on behalf of a friend, not savvy with computers. He has the Chinnon 7000 unit, I think. It was listed as Cinnon in that list you pointed me to. It did indicate that it could be used on Pentax cameras, but the 'beware' warning was enough to get him scared.
Being older and wiser than me, he simply borrowed my 280T. If anyone has a use for the Cobra and Chinnon they are welcome. I simply need drawer space.

regards RonH.

24 Oct '12 Wed Oct 24, 2012 19:04    
cardiff_gareth
Founder Member  
  •  

No!! Just use this here. You'll get much better lighting Wink

Gareth

My outfit: K5ii gripped - Pentax DA* 16-50mm - Sigma 105mm - Sigma 170-500mm - Pentax F 50mm f1.7 - Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 - Metz 48 AF1

My Flickr

My PPG images

500px

24 Oct '12 Wed Oct 24, 2012 20:54    
layingback
  •  

- cardiff_gareth

No!! Just use this here. You'll get much better lighting Wink

Yep, 400V should handle ANY flash unit! And it will allow you to place the flash off of the lens centreline for better highlight/shadow definition. As well as getting it clear of any vignetting caused by the lens protruding into the illiminated area.

24 Oct '12 Wed Oct 24, 2012 21:08    
cardiff_gareth
Founder Member  
  •  

Plus think of the creative lighting for other tasks such as portrait lighting, artificial window light, light tent lighting etc

A flashgun that offers manual outputs with a radio trigger is awesome with a bare flash for on location shoots but when using it on a light stand with a shoot through / reflector umberella or a softbox for portraits its great for both inside and on location portrait shoots

Gareth

My outfit: K5ii gripped - Pentax DA* 16-50mm - Sigma 105mm - Sigma 170-500mm - Pentax F 50mm f1.7 - Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 - Metz 48 AF1

My Flickr

My PPG images

500px

25 Oct '12 Thu Oct 25, 2012 06:24    
layingback
  •  

Plus it's a dual flash with a low power fixed secondary flash tube for fill when the main tube is bounced ...

25 Oct '12 Thu Oct 25, 2012 08:16    
ronH
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Thanks for the info and challenges. If I were even one per cent as dedicated and creative as you guys I would follow your input.
I have just built myself a little hideaway from the house to give me more freedom with my photography intending to set up light boxes, tents and mirror effects for close up work, so maybe off camera flash will play its part. Just need to find some energy and inspiration. If only that was available on the web!!!

regards RonH.

7 Dec '12 Fri Dec 07, 2012 22:00    
ronH
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Hi. Guys. Just returned to your comments. Maybe I am so dim that I need a non tech explanation.
Do I understand that the unit the Gareth pointed me to can be put on the camera and the flash source on a remote tripod and that this will work just about any flash unit without having to be concerned about voltage?
I now have two other flash units . A mint Sunpak auto zoom 2400 thyristor and another Sunpak MX134 MD, also mint.
Would not risk putting them directly on the K5. I could use them remotely, if I get your comments correctly.
Any input on these two units would be helpful.

7 Dec '12 Fri Dec 07, 2012 22:17    
layingback
  •  

If the Sunpak 2400 is indeed the Sunpack MS2400 then you might be OK, as it is rated 6v. I say 'may' only because you need to be sure that is the model. 6v is certainly OK. As always test with a voltmeter first.

Yes to your question though, the transmitter is low voltage and so can be safely used on the camera, and the receiver takes the high voltage. They are physically separated, so no risk to the camera. There are a couple of models of wireless radio receivers which won't handle anything above 12v, but they are clearly labelled as that, so just avoid those. Plenty to chose from, and much info on the web.

7 Dec '12 Fri Dec 07, 2012 23:02    
ronH
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Thanks for that response The detail on the sunpak is as stated. Auto zoom 2400. No paperwork with it.
presumably, Gareth has pointed me to the unit that will fit on the K5 without issue.

regards Ron.

7 Dec '12 Fri Dec 07, 2012 23:17    
cardiff_gareth
Founder Member  
  •  

Ron, like old flash units from back in the day the wireless trigger system I pointed you to only has the 1 centre pin so they are not dedicated units, it'll work with any brand that uses the traditional hotshoe mount.

As LB says, yes! The item I linked is a sender and receiver. The sender requires minimal voltage to set it off so its 100% safe on the camera hotshoe. The receiver connects to the sender wirelessly so even if the flash you were using had a trigger voltage of something silly like 500 volts then no worries as it cannot fry your camera. The unit I linked probably isn't the best as I see the receiver doesn't have a PC socket which can come in handy so it may be best to look about on eBay. eBay item number 160841644093 is the same as mine but my receivers have been modified as the arm you see that attaches to the tripod is a weak link so they have been removed! I use mine with eBay item number 261043984952 (on phone sorry!) as its a metal mount and far stronger! Using these, again sorry about not linking actual ebay listings 320858526122 then the metal mount hotshot / PC adaptor clamps in. The receiver then connects to this via the PC sync socket on the actual receiver - maybe I'll post a pic up if its easier? This was the unit is attached to light stand / tripod extremely securely and nothing can fall off! Plus the bracket allows shoot through or reflector brollys to be used in conjunction with the off camera flash!

One thing, the flash needs to have manual outputs like 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8th etc when using it on a trigger as you need consistency with flash outputs for correctly exposing the image - ie - your the boss telling the flash 'this is what we're going to do' rather than the flag thinking 'right we need this much power' as if the light changes then so will the flash output.

Also be aware if your flash has an auto shut off time. Some flashes like the Metz 48-AF1, Canon 540ex, Nikon SB28 allow a custom setting of turning this off. Otherwise by the time your all set to go the flash has turned off and a play with the test button to bring it to life is needed which isn't very professional and also allows room for error to creep in if you have to physically move the flash out of position and then back again to bring the flash out of sleep mode.

Canon 420 & 430ez flashes don't have this sleep off override but are excellent for off camera trigger work as the heads zoom, they allow rear curtain sync and also have a mass of power outputs. On average on eBay they go for around £30-40!

EDIT: To add the links for Gareth (FYI www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ in front of the Item Number is all you need, the rest is tracking info.)

Gareth

My Flickr

My PPG images

500px

8 Dec '12 Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:25    
ronH
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

I am technically challenged in making decisions. I work on the principle of hands on to work out how it all works.
If you can be specific as to which I need to get, then I will be better able to understand your instructions.
Both of the Sunpak has the ability to regulate power output. The 2400 has a range from full to 1/32nd. That could be useful.
Gareth. I am deeply appreciative of your help.

regards Ron.

Link  QR 
Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   google+   linkedin   twitthis  
Show more ...
Go to page  1, 2  Next

Go to page  2  Next

pentaxslr Non-Human Visitor Terms and Conditions of Use