Studio Photography, Flash, Daylight and Studio Lights, Flash equipment and use
Reply to topicReply to topic
Go to page  1, 2  Next 

6 Jan '13 Sun Jan 06, 2013 21:45    
Dangermouse
Founder Member  
  •  

Post Does anyone make...

A bracket to allow two flashguns to be mounted to and fired by a single hotshoe? I'm envisaging a T-shaped bracket with a foot on the base and two shoes on the top of the crossbar.

I've just bought a second AF200T and I'm thinking about fill-in flash for action photography, where the obvious approach of extra stands and wireless triggers wouldn't be suitable. With two of them you'd be able to switch them both to half power or less thereby improving the recycle time.

“Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.”
― Mark Twain

K-5, K2, SFX. Lenses from 1975 to 2012

6 Jan '13 Sun Jan 06, 2013 22:01    
layingback
Site Administrator  Site Administrator
  •  

Post Re: Does anyone make...

Look for mount bracket on ebay under Cameras & Photography. You'll find many. A ring that sits on flash bracket and mounts 2 sideways, plenty of triple mounts for 3 flashguns, etc. But simplest might be an old fashioned camera bracket with the flash mount on 1 end for the 2nd flash. So you would have maximum width and height difference between the 2 flashes.

My Own Personal Web Page on PENTAXslr.eu   <-- you can have one too

6 Jan '13 Sun Jan 06, 2013 22:23    
Dangermouse
Founder Member  
  •  

I'll keep rummaging, I know about the various mechanical brackets (which would need either PC adapters or wireless flash controllers) but was hoping for something with electrical connections too.

I might even make something myself, it's easy to get hold of PC to hotshoe adapters of various types and a bit of aluminium box section would work for the bracket.

“Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.”
― Mark Twain

6 Jan '13 Sun Jan 06, 2013 22:38    
layingback
  •  

- Dangermouse

I'll keep rummaging, I know about the various mechanical brackets (which would need either PC adapters or wireless flash controllers) but was hoping for something with electrical connections too.

I might even make something myself, it's easy to get hold of PC to hotshoe adapters of various types and a bit of aluminium box section would work for the bracket.

For just 2 flashes, why not 1 on hotshoe and 1 on PC connection?

6 Jan '13 Sun Jan 06, 2013 23:32    
cardiff_gareth
Founder Member  
  •  

What about one of these attached to the camera with one of these on the camera hotshoe. Now the AF200T from memory didn't have a PC socket on it so you'd have to buy two of these to mount on the arms of the bracket

Gareth

My outfit: K5ii gripped - Pentax DA* 16-50mm - Sigma 105mm - Sigma 170-500mm - Pentax F 50mm f1.7 - Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 - Metz 48 AF1

My Flickr

My PPG images

500px

6 Jan '13 Sun Jan 06, 2013 23:43    
Dangermouse
Founder Member  
  •  

Yep, that's roughly what I'm thinking at the moment.

I have a slight problem with the various brackets which fit to the tripod mount as I'm already using that for my strap connection (via an Optech SLR wrist strap and a tripod quick release plate with a strap loop - that way I can clip the camera to a sling just as easily depending on what I'm doing). It would therefore be much simpler if I just had the bracket clipped to the hotshoe on the camera and a PC connection.

― Mark Twain

7 Jan '13 Mon Jan 07, 2013 00:01    
cardiff_gareth
Founder Member  
  •  

Would this be any better? With one of these on each of the 2 tripod threads ?

In an ideal world you would have a flash base that slots into the cameras hotshoe socket and the flash base would have arms that extend out in both directions with hotshoes on the end of each arm. The thing is though it would be rather heavy for the hotshoe

Gareth

My outfit: K5ii gripped - Pentax DA* 16-50mm - Sigma 105mm - Sigma 170-500mm - Pentax F 50mm f1.7 - Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 - Metz 48 AF1

My Flickr

My PPG images

500px

7 Jan '13 Mon Jan 07, 2013 00:25    
Dangermouse
Founder Member  
  •  

Yep, that's what I'm thinking in terms of building.

Weight shouldn't be a huge problem, AF200Ts are not exactly heavy and the bracket shouldn't be either.

I have seen fittings to go into a hotshoe and give you a standard tripod screw thread. Maybe one of them and one of the triple flash mounts you can get to fit to a tripod, then the right cables to fit a couple of PC socket-connected hotshoes to the side mountings.

― Mark Twain

7 Jan '13 Mon Jan 07, 2013 00:32    
cardiff_gareth
Founder Member  
  •  

Yes, I saw that hotshoe to tripod thread adaptor earlier on when I was searching for you!
You could then screw this into that adaptor

Gareth

My Flickr

My PPG images

500px

7 Jan '13 Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:10    
Algernon
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Clarky doesn't seem to post to PU any longer, but this is a flash rig he made from
table lamps Shocked

s184.beta.photobucket....7.jpg.html

also (not sure if it's home made).....

s184.beta.photobucket....rt=3&o=150

Algi

7 Jan '13 Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:35    
layingback
  •  

For action photography I'd worry about the stress on the camera's hotshoe from the inertia of a quick movement.

Some sort of body harness, like the 2 shoulder / 2 camera ones, with the flashes mounted on your shoulders or chest with a little velcro? Could use wireless then, and have total freedom of movement with the camera, or PC cable to hotshoe adapters, or even a couple of 4-wire flash extender cables, to daisy chain them.

7 Jan '13 Mon Jan 07, 2013 13:50    
Algernon
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Don't forget good old PAR softwood 2x1 etc. It would be light and very strong for what your making.
Modern PVA glue is very strong for jobs like this.

You can get (probably Maplins) plastic CCTV camera brackets that screw to the wall. They have
adjustments in two directions and would work vertically. I'm thinking of screwing one to a
piece of 6 inch square x 3/4 ply with 4 rubber feet to make a cheap flash light stand.

Something like this one......

Maplin_Ebay

Algi

7 Jan '13 Mon Jan 07, 2013 17:27    
Dangermouse
Founder Member  
  •  

I won't be moving much, it's the subject that will be! Laughing

A while ago a friend asked if I'd like to go with them to a mountain bike event or two this year, I said yes as it sounds like a good opportunity to practice photographing relatively fast-moving objects. As the tracks are usually in woodland they recommended fill-in flash, which led me to thinking that two AF200Ts turned down to their lowest power setting would give me plenty of power and fast recycle times. I do have the AF280T but there's nothing to bounce the light off, so the greater control of the AF200T is a better bet.

What I do not want to do is be like the bloke at one event they went to who got right up every rider's nose by creating a thicket of very powerful flashes on boom stands. Apparently all were connected via optical slave triggers, so the poor sod on the bike got "whump-whumpwhumpwhumpwhump" and a load of white dots in their vision for the rest of the trail!

Hence lower power settings and keeping the flashes on or near the camera, as they'll be expecting flashes from spectators but not from a remote location.

I will try experimenting with a lone AF200T first as I'm really not sure about their range outside - I generally only use flash indoors and then only when boosting the ISO isn't enough to get the photo I want. If it turns out that quarter power gives the light levels but takes too long to recycle I'll build a bracket.

― Mark Twain

7 Jan '13 Mon Jan 07, 2013 17:49    
Algernon
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

The AF200T is one of the best flashguns ever made. When I tried it against a flashmeter
it was spot on at all the power settings. The output on full was about 1/3rd stop higher than
an AF240T on Hi.

An AF400T was about 2 stops more powerful.

I've got an AF500FTZ as well but I've never measured the output.

Algi

7 Jan '13 Mon Jan 07, 2013 19:23    
Dangermouse
Founder Member  
  •  

Yup, hence why when I saw another one for £7.50 last night I couldn't resist buying! Laughing

I would strongly recommend them as a first flashgun, even if you buy something more recent later on it'll still be useful as a slave flash. I also have the AF280T but thanks to its greater weight it doesn't see as much use.

― Mark Twain

Link  QR 
Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   google+   linkedin   twitthis  
Show more ...
Go to page  1, 2  Next

Go to page  2  Next

pentaxslr Non-Human Visitor Terms and Conditions of Use