Studio Photography, Flash, Daylight and Studio Lights, Flash equipment and use
Reply to topicReply to topic
Go to page  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 

18 Jan '13 Fri Jan 18, 2013 00:20    
Crossed-up
Founder Member +  Founder Member +
  •  

Post Re: Thoughts on Flash and lighting for rally event

Thanks for the link and endorsement both, they look a tad cheaper and higher capacity, I'll give them a go. But never has a problem with Hybrios, Enerloops or similar LSD types, unlike normal NimH's that are never ready when you need them.

Photoshelter
K3|DA10-17|DA18-55WR|DA16-45|DA55-300|DA*200|DA*50-135|DA*300|Sigma150-500

Aperture 3

18 Jan '13 Fri Jan 18, 2013 08:34    
layingback
Site Administrator  Site Administrator
  •  

Vapextech's background is performance R/C model car racing, where battery power is everything (after my buddies' development of cheap high hysteresis magnets Wink ). Main performance gain is from equality (matching) of batteries. Second is maintaining that performance over a number of - fast - charges. So any manufacturer who looks to minimises variance has to be good in my book. And they remain at the top of current power rates too.

Their 8 battery charger looks like a good deal too (bit cheaper on their ebay site).

My Own Personal Web Page on PENTAXslr.eu   <-- you can have one too

20 Jan '13 Sun Jan 20, 2013 15:23    
cardiff_gareth
Founder Member  
  •  

- layingback

@Gareth: Can you share a picture of your modified Vivitar bracket/handle sometime please?

Voila!

Untitled by Gareth D Williams, on Flickr

Essentially it's just everything unbolted off and all rubber peeled off to leave just the ali frame that's uber lightweight.

I'm planning on either adding a ball and socket head so that I have flash both landscape and portrait orientation or just investing on the bracket with a hinge

Gareth

My outfit: K5ii gripped - Pentax DA* 16-50mm - Sigma 105mm - Sigma 170-500mm - Pentax F 50mm f1.7 - Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 - Metz 48 AF1

My Flickr

My PPG images

500px

20 Jan '13 Sun Jan 20, 2013 15:59    
layingback
  •  

Ah! Must be a different starting point, as my Vivitar is 2 pieces: handle and bar.

Mine's too heavy to hold everything from the camera grip in the right hand, hence the idea of firing the shutter from the left hand as with the film body the grip was designed for.

You don't have a swivel head on your flash? Maybe grab a Vivitar SL-2 slave. It has a swivel in the top, as can double as a tripod to hotcoldshoe adapter (and triple as a slave! Wink )

Here's one with 3hrs to go ( I have 4 already! Smile ). Hi- and low- sensitivty, and happy to shunt 300V, but too old to ignore P-TTL pre-flashes.

20 Jan '13 Sun Jan 20, 2013 18:14    
cardiff_gareth
Founder Member  
  •  

Yes, it's a full 3 way had but I want the flash to sit the right way up when in camera portrait orientation so that flash sits further away from the camera lens.

Jut thinking if there is a way if fabricating a cold hotshoe on the upright of that bracket, just under where the current one is Question

Gareth

My outfit: K5ii gripped - Pentax DA* 16-50mm - Sigma 105mm - Sigma 170-500mm - Pentax F 50mm f1.7 - Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 - Metz 48 AF1

My Flickr

My PPG images

500px

20 Jan '13 Sun Jan 20, 2013 18:30    
layingback
  •  

That looks as if it might be a 1/4Fine threaded hole to left of the slot? If so could you attach a second bracket - possibly a straight one - using its thumbwheel, when you needed it?

Would be detachable when not required. And might slide under this one, saving space between portrait shots.

You could obviously fabricate in a number of ways, but a clearance hole for a 1/4Fine (1/4-20) thumbwheel directly into a tripod mountable cold-hotshoe might be the simplest.

30 Jan '13 Wed Jan 30, 2013 16:03    
Crossed-up
  •  

Well, it appears I'll have a bit more time to practice as the rally has had to be postponed due to the finish venue 'blackmailing' us over the cost having already agreed to everything Mad

Photoshelter

Aperture 3

30 Jan '13 Wed Jan 30, 2013 23:20    
Dangermouse
Founder Member  
  •  

Much as I like SRS's service I'd consider those trade-in offers an insult. Stick it all on ebay instead, it's worth a lot more.

Some potentially useful ideas here for shooting MTB events too. I've pretty much said that I'd love to go when the weather is a bit more sensible (as standing in a forest in the rain with no shelter other than your coat and hat doesn't appeal!)

“Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.”
― Mark Twain

K-5, K2, SFX. Lenses from 1975 to 2012

31 Jan '13 Thu Jan 31, 2013 02:14    
Crossed-up
  •  

Indeed, I would have preferred them just to have said they weren't interested. Conversely they were letting people chop in literally any old film body for a £100 discount off a K5, but that probably says more about the margins they have those against than the Sigma flashes.

Photoshelter

Aperture 3

Link  QR 
Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   google+   linkedin   twitthis  
Show more ...
Go to page  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Forum Permissions - You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum