Undocumented "Easter Eggs" of Pentax flashes...

Studio Photography, Flash, Daylight and Studio Lights, Flash equipment and use

17 Feb '13 Sun Feb 17, 2013 18:45    
Dangermouse
Founder Member  
  •  

Post Undocumented "Easter Eggs" of Pentax flashes...

I've mentioned before that while TTL flashes don't work on the latest DSLRs Program Flash (as in the flashes with "SA" suffixes) does.

I've just found some more interesting undocumented features!

I put my AF240FT on the K-5 for a couple of snaps of a kit I'm building. Obviously this is a TTL flash so I set it to one of the manual modes and expected it to work as a dumb manual flash. But a bit of playing around suggests that not only does the AF Spot Beam work but also trailing curtain sync. Just set the camera to M with trailing curtain sync set on the body, then the flash to either H or L with trailing curtain sync set there too. Everything lights up and works. I tried a low enough shutter speed that I could hear the two curtains moving and sure enough the flash came just before the trailing curtain moved.

Set the flash to spot beam only and it seems to over-ride the camera's AF assist light. Or at least the spot beam flashes away merrily while the camera auto-focusses and the green lamp on the body doesn't.

I initially bought this for my '80s outfit with the SFX, but it's likely to be used a lot more now!

“Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.”
― Mark Twain

K-5, K2, SFX. Lenses from 1975 to 2012

Link  QR 
Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   google+   linkedin   twitthis  
Show more ...

Forum Permissions - You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum