The K-01: A Review.

PENTAX Digital slrs: technology, equipment, use, tips, tricks, on digital photography

1 Mar '13 Fri Mar 01, 2013 16:28    
Dangermouse
Founder Member  
  •  

Post The K-01: A Review.

Click to follow Link to Original Article.

1 Mar '13 Fri Mar 01, 2013 20:26    
sasastro
Member / f1.4  Member / f1.4
  •  

Post Re: The K-01: A Review.

Thanks for the review - it really looks as if it's worth saving up for as an alternative camera. Pictures looked good too

Google +
Flickr
Photo Blog

1 Mar '13 Fri Mar 01, 2013 20:45    
Dangermouse
Founder Member  
  •  

You're welcome - I'm still learning how to get the best from it so better photos should follow!

I've now tried it with the Bigma and found that it worked perfectly, no focus adjustment was necessary with these copies of both. Next time the moon appears I'll be pointing this combination at it.

I can see the M 100mm f2.8 or the K 105mm working very well. The M 135mm is a good fit but probably the upper limit in terms of focal length and weight. If I see either for sane money I may consider them, preferably the K.

Unfortunately there don't seem to be any small AF telephoto primes other than the FA77 and DA70, the AF 135mm lenses are massive compared to the manual ones.

“Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.”
― Mark Twain

K-5, K2, SFX. Lenses from 1975 to 2012

1 Mar '13 Fri Mar 01, 2013 21:37    
Offertonhatter
Member / f5.6  Member / f5.6
  •  

I wonder how many body only K-01's SRS have left, as it might be a possible purchase come end of March for me. Very Happy

Proud Pentax User with K-5, K20D, K10D, *istDS, lots of lenses. Oh and plenty of Pentax Film cameras too

1 Mar '13 Fri Mar 01, 2013 22:27    
Dangermouse
Founder Member  
  •  

Well their ebay listing says "More than 10"... Laughing

They must be splitting the kits, so providing that they sell more 40mm lenses than bodies there may well be a few left. The lenses are likely to be very hard to resist at £129 - that's cheaper than any other DA prime and for its size it's a nifty little performer. The two cat photos were at f2.8 and it's usably sharp there, although as with most lenses it improves when you drop down a stop or two.

Even if the K-01 doesn't interest you I would strongly suggest looking at the 40mm. It'll work perfectly on any Pentax DSLR with screw drive AF, which is all of them to date.

Edit, I've just opened a box containing a Lowepro ILC Classic 50 case. The K-01 and 40mm fit perfectly with very little extra space - you could probably get a couple of spare memory cards and a spare battery in but that's it. Longer lenses will not fit, the cap on the 40mm XS is tight against the front panel. The case has an opening belt loop on the back (so you can attach it to anything with their sliplock loops, and don't need to take your belt off to install it) and also has a couple of loops of its own next to the shoulder strap rings which could probably be used with their smaller lens cases/pouches/cargo straps to attach anything from a mini tripod to a small second lens in a case.

“Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.”
― Mark Twain

3 Apr '13 Wed Apr 03, 2013 15:55    
Dangermouse
Founder Member  
  •  

If anyone else is still considering one of these then SRS currently have the yellow version for sale body-only in their ebay shop. Price is the same as the black one. They may be breaking up kits (as with the black ones) so if you want a DA40 XS with it you might do well to try phoning.

― Mark Twain

11 Apr '13 Thu Apr 11, 2013 19:47    
Offertonhatter
  •  

- Dangermouse

Even if the K-01 doesn't interest you I would strongly suggest looking at the 40mm. It'll work perfectly on any Pentax DSLR with screw drive AF, which is all of them to date.

I am still very tempted, as SRS STILL have some in stock.
As for the 40mm XS, not interested, as I already have the 40mm Limited..... Very Happy

I like the focus peaking idea, but would the K-01 be a better bet than the K30, even if it is practically half the price!

Actually I think I have just answered my own question! Wink

Proud Pentax User with K-5, K20D, K10D, *istDS, lots of lenses. Oh and plenty of Pentax Film cameras too

11 May '13 Sat May 11, 2013 14:35    
Dangermouse
Founder Member  
  •  

Bit of a thread resurrection but I didn't see the previous post until today!

I've not handled a K30 but I have looked at one in the plastic, and it looked rather angular and harsh to me. The top right hand corner of the thing (just to the right of where your thumb goes) had a distinct razor-edge look compared to previous rounded bodies.

I know the K-01 has been criticised for the handling but I can only assume those reviewers never used an older film SLR. I find if you hold it like a K2 (but at a comfortable distance from your eyes for the screen) you can get a solid, stable grip.

I've been playing with a K 55/1.8 on mine recently, it really is a camera for small, fast primes. I was considering a DA21 later in the year but not so sure now, it's a lot of money for a lens and I don't often find myself wanting a wide angle.

If Pentax had been able to make the K-01 for £350 then they'd have had a winner, unfortunately as with many of their products it was just too expensive at the launch price.

― Mark Twain

11 May '13 Sat May 11, 2013 21:15    
Offertonhatter
  •  

You are right Dangermouse.
The launch price was too much, and probably put a lot of people off.
Shame really as the camera itself, if promoted as what it is perfect for, would have grabbed sales from the M43 and NEX cameras of this world.
This camera is perfect, and I mean PERFECT, with the small primes that Pentax excel at. Even the M42 screw mount lenses with an adapter are wonderful!
Unlike the PEN's and NEX's of this world, the K-01 is very much a photographers tool. Even the GX-1, the best CSC out there for photographers, pales in its useability to the K-01.

If anyone is in doubt, get hold of one, feel the body, enjoy the handling (the rubber outer is a boon), put a Takumar prime on the front and relish the ability. It is a superb camera! Very Happy

23 May '13 Thu May 23, 2013 19:51    
Dangermouse
Founder Member  
  •  

I've been playing with mine and a K 55/1.8 for the past few days, and I think I've noticed something: The AF seems to be geared toward f2.8 lenses.

I struggled to get consistent images with the FA50 wide open, but if I focus manually they're as sharp as those from the K-5. I'm also getting sharp results with the 55mm and K 120/2.8 (the latter has proven itself astonishing wide open for a 30+ year old lens design, if you're careful with the lighting). With the kit lens wide open I get sharp images again.

I've pretty much given up using focus peaking, I just find it gets in the way. If I hold the camera at a comfortable distance from my eyes I can see when the subject is in focus.

A couple of test shots with the 55mm wide open, used the digital filters for my first "colour popping" experiment:

And finally one from the 120mm. My focus point was somewhere around the two trees and the chap on the bench:

― Mark Twain

27 May '13 Mon May 27, 2013 21:06    
Offertonhatter
  •  

Dangermouse, the AF is like most DSLR's. The cross type points are optimised for F2.8. It would appear that the CDAF of CSC's like the K-01 appear the same, albeit they are looking for differing contrast points in the shots. So, with that in mind, if you are looking for narrower DOF than F2.8 then manual has to be, and I personally have found the focus peaking a boon. Mind you FP is probably optimised for F2.8 too..... Confused

I wonder how Leica users get on with the Noctilux...... Shocked

Link  QR 
Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   google+   linkedin   twitthis  
Show more ...

Forum Permissions - You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

pentaxslr Non-Human Visitor Terms and Conditions of Use