PENTAX dslr and slr macro photos including Extreme macro
Reply to topicReply to topic
Go to page  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next 

23 Jul '13 Tue Jul 23, 2013 20:15    
darkskies
Member / f4.0  Member / f4.0
  •  

Post Re: A New Member of the Butchered Zoom Club

I set my butchered zoom to 68mm today for a trial, and even that caused a little vignetting, so it looks like it's gonna have to stay at 80mm.

Here's another I'm quite happy with....at least for the time being!!

Small Skipper - I've just cropped a tiny bit off the edge.

23 Jul '13 Tue Jul 23, 2013 20:32    
SteveEveritt
Founder Member +  Founder Member +
  •  

Ooo I want mine to arrive

My flickr Photostream

23 Jul '13 Tue Jul 23, 2013 20:46    
darkskies
  •  

- SteveEveritt

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Just take care with the butchering! Then the world is your rocking horse! Cool

25 Jul '13 Thu Jul 25, 2013 07:51    
Charlotte
  •  

- darkskies

- SteveEveritt

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Just take care with the butchering! Then the world is your rocking horse! Cool

Laughing Laughing

Je Suis Charlie

25 Jul '13 Thu Jul 25, 2013 09:22    
SteveEveritt
  •  

The lens is a no show, the guy has refunded my money. So I'm on the lookout again. In my impatience I have reversed my fa35 f2 onto my fa50 f1.4 but I'm paranoid I'll damage it.

My flickr Photostream

25 Jul '13 Thu Jul 25, 2013 09:41    
SteveEveritt
  •  

I might try reversing the 50 and even the 35 onto mt vivitar 105. An interesting experiment.

My flickr Photostream

25 Jul '13 Thu Jul 25, 2013 09:50    
layingback
Site Administrator  Site Administrator
  •  

- SteveEveritt

The lens is a no show, the guy has refunded my money. So I'm on the lookout again. In my impatience I have reversed my fa35 f2 onto my fa50 f1.4 but I'm paranoid I'll damage it.

You mean the exposed mount end? Do you have a small macro tube - MF would do - that's short enough not to get in the way, to go on the end as a guard?

Those cheap screw together Chinese ones might work: you could probably cut 1 to exact length ...

My Own Personal Web Page on PENTAXslr.eu   <-- you can have one too

25 Jul '13 Thu Jul 25, 2013 09:54    
SteveEveritt
  •  

Aha, I do, good thinking LB. I'll give that a shot. I have actually got one that I tinkered with to mount a ring flash onto a reversed lens, I'll dig that one out.

My flickr Photostream

25 Jul '13 Thu Jul 25, 2013 14:01    
darkskies
  •  

Sorry to hear that your zoom hasn't turned up, Steve. Keep trying.

Meanwhile, here are a few more. I'm not particularly keen on the black background you can get when taking with flash if there's nothing right behind the subject. But there are some occasions when the black actually works, in an arty sort of way but not a natural way, if you see what I mean. Have a look and see what you think.....

25 Jul '13 Thu Jul 25, 2013 14:16    
layingback
Site Administrator  Site Administrator
  •  

Well you could try Charlotte's trick of holding a leaf or hand behind - but then you may not have as many hands as Charlotte appears to have Laughing

But would a 2nd flash with optical slave at say, 1/2 power (or double the distance), and wide-angle diffuser light the background just enough? Something you could just plonk down on a tripod.

Or even from slightly behind to give a "hair light" effect.

Certainly nothing wrong with the non-black parts of these images. Great work.

My Own Personal Web Page on PENTAXslr.eu   <-- you can have one too

25 Jul '13 Thu Jul 25, 2013 14:46    
darkskies
  •  

Thanks, LB.

I'm sure there are things you can do. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. The good thing about this setup is that you can just pick up the camera and take a shot. Easy setup when you've done it a few times. I want to keep it that way.

I'm thinking that, because the flash (with diffuser) is pointed down, then maybe I could make a sort of mask for the diffuser which allows less light to travel in the area of the subject and more away to light the background. But then that would be troublesome for some shots and the background may still be too far away.

I tried Charlotte's trick with the leaf and ended up with just a blurred shot of the leaf as the insect had buggered off. And I only have two hands........ Confused

It's sometimes possible to get an insect with a leaf right behind, or within range. Often, though, where I'm taking photos in a hedge, the background is quite dark. I wonder if tilting the flash less would help?

Time to experiment, methinks!

25 Jul '13 Thu Jul 25, 2013 15:01    
Charlotte
  •  

By George I think he's cracked it Cool - see I told you it wasn't difficult once you'd got the knack didn't I.

I found, angling the flash up means the background will be lighter but the object of your photograph will be dark underneath and it's very difficult to claw the details back in pp.

I like hoverflies with a black background - I have loads of them like that it set the creature off nicely I think.

A softer flash whilst not giving so much light on the insect actually makes the background less black than you can use fill light to lighten it up in pp. Once you've got into the swing of getting up close and personal with things, you'll probably be able to do the leaf trick. What I tend to do now is gently move the plant they're on so it's closer to something else. If the sun's out you could try taking the photos into the sun, that sometimes works as long as the flash isn't too bright.

At the end of the day though it's experimenting and practice that shows you the way. 'tis difficult for me to help other than encourage you because the K5 will utilise the light differently to your Kr and to be honest with you I've been doing this for so long now that it's mainly instinct that takes my shots now and I can't really explain it.

But you should be very pleased with those shots DS they're excellent !

Je Suis Charlie

25 Jul '13 Thu Jul 25, 2013 16:28    
darkskies
  •  

Thanks, Charlotte. Very Happy

I'm getting to the point now where I don't have to think too much about the exposure, just about the composition and holding the bloody camera still!

I like hoverflies with that black background too, but it doesn't work for everything.

I tried angling the flash up a bit but found, like you say, that the subject gets left out somewhat. I don't want to reduce the shutter speed or dof to get that light back so it's going to be another solution.

Onwards and upwards!!

25 Jul '13 Thu Jul 25, 2013 17:41    
SteveEveritt
  •  

A couple from last night with the 50/35 setup: 50 @ f10 and 35 wide open. I've cropped out the black circle.
An early flying ant

1. The eye

2. The jaw

My flickr Photostream

25 Jul '13 Thu Jul 25, 2013 18:50    
darkskies
  •  

Nice one, Steve! Very Happy

A few from this afternoon, though it was too bloody hot to stay out long........

By the way, does anyone have any recommendations for macro rails? I want something which is quite light, but strong, not flimsy, with forwards/backwards/sideways movement, a scale, and it can't cost too much (or much at all, tbh). Very Happy

Link  QR 
Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   google+   linkedin   twitthis  
Show more ...

pentaxslr Non-Human Visitor Terms and Conditions of Use