PENTAX dslr and slr macro photos including Extreme macro
Reply to topicReply to topic
Go to page  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next 

16 Jun '14 Mon Jun 16, 2014 20:50    
womble
Member / f22  Member / f22
  •  

Post Re: A New Member of the Butchered Zoom Club

Thanks all, I'll have a go when it turns up.

What sort of mounting ring did you use to attach the Nikkor to the front of the butchered zoom? Something that screws into the filter thread of the zoom? Or is it something cruder? Smile

Thanks, Kris.

16 Jun '14 Mon Jun 16, 2014 21:04    
Charlotte
Founder Member +  Founder Member +
  •  

I started off with carpet tape until I knew it worked then I got a step up ring to bring the thread size of the nikkor to the same as the zoom and theyre connected with a coupling ring.

Je Suis Charlie

16 Jun '14 Mon Jun 16, 2014 21:26    
womble
Member / f22  Member / f22
  •  

Well, I think you proved it works! I'll have a look for the appropriate rings.

Thanks all. K.

16 Jun '14 Mon Jun 16, 2014 21:27    
mannesty
Founder Member  
  •  

You'll need a coupling (aka Reversing) ring/adapter Kris.

2 x male threads, one to suit the zoom's filter thread, the other to suit the Nikkor's filter thread.

Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

"Knowledge is knowing that a Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to use it in a fruit salad."

17 Jun '14 Tue Jun 17, 2014 17:23    
DrOrloff
Winner Project 12 - 2015  Winner Project 12 - 2015
  •  

I'm finally in. One really butchered zoom in bits in the bin, the other dismantled not butchered working well on the end of the camera. Removing the glass is easy. The trick is not to remove the rear mount (and then have to faff about with the contact studs and springs, nightmare which resulted in the demise of zoom 1), rather to take out the three screws on the central section which hold the the ribbed cone thingy which then pops out and gives direct access to the screws holding the rear element in place. The front elements are easy - the rings holding them in place either unscrew or are easily prised out. The only tool required is a small screwdriver, one flathead, one phillips. A five minute job.

I couldn't find a single coupling (male to male) ring 40.5mm to 49mm. So instead a step ring 40.5mm to 49mm (male to female)and then and 49mm coupling ring will do the trick.

17 Jun '14 Tue Jun 17, 2014 19:57    
darkskies
Member / f4.0  Member / f4.0
  •  

- DrOrloff

I couldn't find a single coupling (male to male) ring 40.5mm to 49mm. So instead a step ring 40.5mm to 49mm (male to female)and then and 49mm coupling ring will do the trick.

I think that's what i did.

Congrats at joining the club. I really must get down to doing this better. I've continued to take the same sort of shots using the same technique, but should take a bit of time (and patience) to up my game.

Went out for a few minutes before the Belgium game, but only managed one ordinary shot.

17 Jun '14 Tue Jun 17, 2014 20:12    
mannesty
Founder Member  
  •  

I forgot to order a step-up ring for my Nikkor which should be delivered on Thursday. Now I'll have to wait about a month for the ring to come from HK before I can use it. Sad

Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

"Knowledge is knowing that a Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to use it in a fruit salad."

23 Jun '14 Mon Jun 23, 2014 22:16    
SteveEveritt
  •  

A couple of questions...
1. Do you use the enlarging lens reversed? (It hasn't arrived yet)
2. Has anyone devised a way of preventing the flash from putting too much sideways strain on the hotshoe? I'm using a heavy old flash and when the camera is tilted to anyhing other than straight there is quite a lot of weight on the hotshoe and I'm worried it'll compromise the integrity of the hotshoe mount and even the WR Confused

My flickr Photostream

23 Jun '14 Mon Jun 23, 2014 22:19    
mannesty
Founder Member  
  •  

Yes, lens is reversed so if you have bought the EL-Nikkor 50mm/2.8 lens you'll need a 40.5mm to nn.nmm step up ring and you'll need a suitably sized male to male reversing ring.

I have my flash on a bracket so can't answer that one, sorry Steve.

Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

23 Jun '14 Mon Jun 23, 2014 22:24    
SteveEveritt
  •  

Cheers Pete Cool

My flickr Photostream

23 Jun '14 Mon Jun 23, 2014 23:10    
davidstorm
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

I'm late to the 'butchered zoom club' and still finding my feet, but I'm starting to get some decent results, both with the reversed Nikkor EL 50mm F2.8 and a reversed Pentax-A 50mm F1.7. The Nikkor is the sharper of the two, but the Pentax has nice contrast and colour rendering.

Here's one of my recent efforts:

Peek-a-boo! by storm6511, on Flickr

Not quite up to Charlotte and Neil standards yet, but I think I'm getting there.

Cheers
David Very Happy

24 Jun '14 Tue Jun 24, 2014 06:20    
layingback
Site Administrator  Site Administrator
  •  

Would have thought a bracket was the way to go - if only for more grip! But getting flash off to side a tad would help too surely? You would need one with a pivoting hot/cold shoe unless flash head pivots, plus a hot shoe cable unless flash has own method. (A Vivitar 283 set would do all of the above.)

All else fails you ought to be able to lighten the load of the flash significantly by moving the (4 x AA) batteries out. Grab a cheap set of 4 AA - AAA plastic adapters (canisters) from China, and solder a few wires on the insides and back to a remote 4 x AA battery holder in your pocket, on the tripod holder on the base, or velcro-strapped to the tripod. (Note: not done this, but it looks as if it would work.)

My Own Personal Web Page on PENTAXslr.eu   <-- you can have one too

4 Jul '14 Fri Jul 04, 2014 17:25    
SteveEveritt
  •  

My adapter came through today, so I now have the complete kit Very Happy Cool Razz
None of these are cropped BTW. All with the K-3, 28-80 and Nikkor enlarging lens reversed.

1. A flying seed on a wet wall

EVER0879 by Steve Everitt, on Flickr

2. An aphid, that strange looking bulbous thing at the top is a raindrop on a blade of grass.

EVER0882 by Steve Everitt, on Flickr

3. Another aphid with a leg missing

EVER0883 by Steve Everitt, on Flickr

4. and a fly

EVER0886 by Steve Everitt, on Flickr

My flickr Photostream

4 Jul '14 Fri Jul 04, 2014 17:43    
sasastro
Member / f1.4  Member / f1.4
  •  

wow - you're proving the kit works Steve, great photos

Google +
Flickr
Photo Blog

4 Jul '14 Fri Jul 04, 2014 17:50    
SteveEveritt
  •  

Cheers Sas, I can't wait for a nice bit of light to try it out proper Very Happy

My flickr Photostream

Link  QR 
Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   google+   linkedin   twitthis  
Show more ...

pentaxslr Non-Human Visitor Terms and Conditions of Use