Ricoh announce new 16mp Bridge Camera - XG-1

Comments on Latest News Articles - New Posts not supported in this forum - Replies OK

21 Jul '14 Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:50    
Charlotte
Founder Member +  Founder Member +
  •  

Post Ricoh announce new 16mp Bridge Camera - XG-1

Clic pour suivre le lien à Article Original.

21 Jul '14 Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:54    
Charlotte
  •  

Post Re: Ricoh announce new 16mp Bridge Camera - XG-1

Might get rid of the DSLR and get one of these as I'm sick to the back teeth of carrying all the gear around for the sake of it.

Je Suis Charlie

21 Jul '14 Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:32    
mannesty
Founder Member  
  •  

I know what you mean Charlotte. I bought an MX-1 and use it most of the time now.

Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

"Knowledge is knowing that a Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to use it in a fruit salad."

21 Jul '14 Mon Jul 21, 2014 17:39    
ralphhardwick
Member / f22  Member / f22
  •  

Ŵhat I want to know is why is this a Pentax when it doesn't have an interchangeable lens? Shouldn't it be a Ricoh?

21 Jul '14 Mon Jul 21, 2014 18:53    
Chris
  •  

Why would you want one of those when you can carry a K-3 and a Bigma around all day?

21 Jul '14 Mon Jul 21, 2014 20:39    
Offertonhatter
Member / f5.6  Member / f5.6
  •  

Bigma and K-3, but don't forget the 1.4x converter Chris. Wink

Joking aside, I think I would prefer the X-5. Shorter reach yet has the tilty flappy screen. Much more useful. Oh and it is £100 less. Very Happy

Proud Pentax User with K-5, K20D, K10D, *istDS, lots of lenses. Oh and plenty of Pentax Film cameras too

21 Jul '14 Mon Jul 21, 2014 21:23    
dougf8
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

I think most DSLR owners complain about this occasionally. A friend buying his first DSLR said on trying his Dad's out that he left it in the car as it was just too much to lug about. I tried to get him to try a high end compact before buying a DSLR.

I bought a Canon S95 three years ago and have carried it when I haven't got the K-5. There are loads of higher end compacts now that can bridge the gap.
I'll be in the market for the next pocket compact camera as when I compared the jpeg output of the S95 my brothers canon Point and shoot was very close in quality and 1/3rd of he price. However neither come close to the K-5.

I bumped into a Nikon D7100 user the other day and that didn't look any easier to carry than a K-5 with a DA35 f2.4 on the front.

I have on occasion just taken the K-5 out of the bag, put one lens on it and one in my coat pocket and it is quite liberating. The battery is good for 700 shots and the 32GB memory card holds plenty for the day.

I feel naked/unprepared without the K-5 in the car. Having the S95 doesn't completely remove the feeling.

21 Jul '14 Mon Jul 21, 2014 21:40    
Offertonhatter
Member / f5.6  Member / f5.6
  •  

I would not mind one of these bridge cameras, as I have always found them very useful at times. I have two, the tiny first Generation Fuji S5000, which has a 1.8" screen and a mere 1/1.25" sensor. Downsides is that it only does ISO200, ISO400 and ISO800 at 1MP.
Then there is my Fuji S6500fd. It is the same size as my *istDS and has the same pixel count, ie 6MP. Sensor size is 1/1.7", so what you call "pro" spec for a compact.

They both have one massive advantage over the XG-1 and indeed the X-5, and that they both shoot RAW.

Even now I don't understand why RAW is not included on these modern cameras, unless you spend megabucks on say Fuji XS-1, Sony RX10 and the new Pano FZ1000?

I can imagine that the X-5 would have been a beauty IF it had RAW. But it seems that this feature does not matter at all on most bridge cameras, and it is a shame.

Hey Ho. Crying or Very sad

Proud Pentax User with K-5, K20D, K10D, *istDS, lots of lenses. Oh and plenty of Pentax Film cameras too

21 Jul '14 Mon Jul 21, 2014 21:51    
cardiff_gareth
Founder Member  
  •  

Spec looks good! A good walkaround camera I'd say Cool

Gareth

My outfit: K5ii gripped - Pentax DA* 16-50mm - Sigma 105mm - Sigma 170-500mm - Pentax F 50mm f1.7 - Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 - Metz 48 AF1

My Flickr

My PPG images

500px

9 Aug '14 Sat Aug 09, 2014 23:22    
oldjoe
Member / f4.0  Member / f4.0
  •  

no remote, no RAW. even my old Fuji 9500 shot RAW and you could use a remote

10 Aug '14 Sun Aug 10, 2014 07:22    
axelluther
Member / f4.0  Member / f4.0
  •  

I just got a G16 (for underwater photography) and from time to time I carry it with me - have to say - I don't like shooting with such small cameras. You mainly use the display, you have nothing in your hand to really grap and balance - it is more the snapshop-stlye of taking photos, while, when I am holding my D7100 and look through the view finder, I so much more focus on the picture I want to take. The extra weight helps me to hold the camera steadily and you should not underestimate, how much more people respect that you want to take a proper picture and step aside, when you have a decent DSLR mounted on a tripod. I also don't like the weight but I prefer to carry it around instead of only using little cameras

Link  QR 
Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   google+   linkedin   twitthis  
Show more ...

Forum Permissions - You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

pentaxslr Non-Human Visitor Terms and Conditions of Use