Preseli Hills

Post your PENTAX dslr/slr photos that do not fit in the specific categories here
Reply to topicReply to topic
Go to page  1, 2  Next 

9 Oct '16 Sun Oct 09, 2016 20:17    
SteveEveritt
Founder Member +  Founder Member +
  •  

Post Preseli Hills

Quite a productive day yesterday (08-10-16) took a drive to Cenarth Falls to attempt to photograph leaping salmon but they didn't show, so had a bit of a mooch around the area.
The scenery is spectacular, the wildlife was abundant and we were treated to some fabulous cloud formations and light as the sun got lower in the sky.

More samples here.

My flickr Photostream

10 Oct '16 Mon Oct 10, 2016 07:30    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Post Re: Preseli Hills

Some good stuff there Steve. Can't help but notice that the EXIF data shows 'Nikon D300' on the falls shots I looked at before I came here. Borrowed, dual system or going over to the 'dark side'?

10 Oct '16 Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:26    
SteveEveritt
  •  

Well spotted Steve, I had a mare at the kart track last weekend 274 shots with my DA*300 on a K5iis and 1 stunningly sharp shot. 3 others that were acceptable leaving 270 shots added to my shutter count that were out of focus

My flickr Photostream

10 Oct '16 Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:27    
SteveEveritt
  •  

Where's the rest of my post!

My flickr Photostream

10 Oct '16 Mon Oct 10, 2016 17:45    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Auto censor (or redactor in modern speak)? Laughing

10 Oct '16 Mon Oct 10, 2016 20:33    
sasastro
Member / f1.4  Member / f1.4
  •  

Some lovely scenery, I love that golden glow on number 2

Google +
Flickr
Photo Blog

11 Oct '16 Tue Oct 11, 2016 07:21    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Came across an interesting set with the K1 and 150-450mm in Flickr group "Pentax - All Genuine Lenses" by Karl Knipser after I'd been back here Steve. Interesting subject and some lovely shots. Sports action isn't something I do hardly ever, so I had a pretty poor set when the Tour of Britain came through Bath. Location chosen pretty good and (sort of) OK with the K5 II/DA* 50-135 with some careful cropping but absolute pants with the K5 IIs/DA* 16-50 - misjudged where 'infinity' would be when I set up with TAV and MF Embarassed . They don't come back round again, so you're got 1 chance lasting about a minute.

11 Oct '16 Tue Oct 11, 2016 19:57    
SteveEveritt
  •  

The one stunningly sharp shot was of a guy that had crashed so was stationary. I was so angry, after all it's like adding mileage to a car, every shutter actuation devalues the camera.
So I bought a Nikon D300 which was the camera I was going to buy as my first "proper" camera, but the K-7 came out with its WR and I was hooked. Dreaming of rooster tails in the wet and all that.
However I didn't have any WR lenses apart from the 18-55 so it was a fruitless exercise until I got the DA*50-135.
Any way I digress, I bought a D300 with less than 6k on it & a mint Sigma 100-300 HSM, both for less than £600. I will hopefully be trying the combo out this weekend. It will be used for anything coming head on.
I have already noticed a marked improvement in locking on speed, a jay flew over some trees earlier and I had a fraction of a second to lift the camera, aim and fire, the combo got two in focus shots and I know the Pentax of any variety would have failed to get anywhere near a shot and the D300 is a 7 year old model!
However the Pentax can focus accurately, albeit slowly, in almost total darkness, the Nikon can't even in dim light. With my K-3 and and DA* lens I can focus successfully on an individual bright star at night.
I think I will probably use this combo for sport and BIF, for everything else there's Pentax.
If RICOH/Pentax could get a focus system that was as good as Nikon it would be head and shoulders above any DSLR out there.... Why can't they incorporate the SR system.

My flickr Photostream

12 Oct '16 Wed Oct 12, 2016 07:59    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Sounds like you have found a combo that works for your sports action shoots. Anticipating the Pentax AF weakness, I tried the old MF film technique of setting up in a suitable position, get you focus sorted and wait for the action to come to you. Unfortunately, I think in using 2 bodies I knocked the focus a bit when I changed over - should have had a table (or something similar) I could put the second body on until I needed it rather than having it on the other shoulder. That and possibly using f5.6 rather than f8. Shutter speed at 1/500 was OK.

12 Oct '16 Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:13    
SteveEveritt
  •  

You shouldn't have to do that though in 2016.

My flickr Photostream

12 Oct '16 Wed Oct 12, 2016 19:22    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Agree in principle Steve - but I was using 2012 bodies. The K1 may have closed the gap on Nikon etc but I'm a bit short of the capital to equip myself with the range of lenses I'd want to mimic my 'go to' standard set that travels the world with me. I may have made a better fist of shooting the Tour if I had somewhere accessible, like your carting ring, where I could sort out my technique. Most of the OOF shots (DoF didn't cover the close riders) were shot at 33mm, so might go with the FA 31mm Ltd on the K5IIs if the Tour comes this way again and the route includes my last used location.

I can only assume the reason for the AF speed problem is patent related and Canon/Nikon have got the best solutions nailed and won't license it or if they will, only at a price that Pentax find unacceptable.

14 Oct '16 Fri Oct 14, 2016 13:10    
SteveEveritt
  •  

Weren't Sigma recently fined 14 million dollars for stealing Nikons AF.
Also I wouldn't use the 5 for this I'd use the 3. Much quicker AF
And of course the d300 is a 2007 model

My flickr Photostream

14 Oct '16 Fri Oct 14, 2016 19:21    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Maybe I'll have to stop trying to use 2 bodies and settle for 1 with a fixed focal length lens Sad Sad .

17 Oct '16 Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:10    
SteveEveritt
  •  

Update:
Went for a quick test and practice with the Nikon and 100-300.
148 out of 186 nailed focus shots from a 2007 body. I could visibly see and feel the difference in AF speed.
So looking like I'm going to be a 2 system shooter. Nikon for sport (and maybe wildlife), for everything else there's Pentax.

My flickr Photostream

17 Oct '16 Mon Oct 17, 2016 15:06    
sasastro
Member / f1.4  Member / f1.4
  •  

Have to chip in here and say I also find the slow to focus speed a bit frustrating. Have just got myself a second hand 50-135 from SRS, it's a lovely lens, when it nails focus! Though at this stage it could still be user error.

Google +
Flickr
Photo Blog

Link  QR 
Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   google+   linkedin   twitthis  
Show more ...
Go to page  1, 2  Next

Go to page  2  Next

pentaxslr Non-Human Visitor Terms and Conditions of Use