Preseli Hills

Post your PENTAX dslr/slr photos that do not fit in the specific categories here
Reply to topicReply to topic
Go to page  Previous  1, 2 

17 Oct '16 Mon Oct 17, 2016 21:12    
SteveEveritt
Founder Member +  Founder Member +
  •  

Post Re: Preseli Hills

I have one too and it is truly sensational. As long as you don't want to use if for fast sport. I have for a few years used it and on the K-3 it is usable as long as you can accept it's going to miss 3 out of 5 shots. But like you say, when it nails the shot there is something special about the way it renders the image, some people describe it as pixie dust.

My flickr Photostream

17 Oct '16 Mon Oct 17, 2016 21:16    
sasastro
Member / f1.4  Member / f1.4
  •  

- SteveEveritt

I have one too and it is truly sensational. As long as you don't want to use if for fast sport. I have for a few years used it and on the K-3 it is usable as long as you can accept it's going to miss 3 out of 5 shots. But like you say, when it nails the shot there is something special about the way it renders the image, some people describe it as pixie dust.

I've tried it on the K5-iis and the K5, missed more with the K5. I was hoping to use it for street snapping, when it does work it's super, when I miss it's damn frustrating.

A couple of hits

Trader Smile
by sasastro, on Flickr

Considering the odds
by sasastro, on Flickr

And a miss (but still uploaded)

I wonder how much she's spending...
by sasastro, on Flickr

Google +
Flickr
Photo Blog

17 Oct '16 Mon Oct 17, 2016 21:58    
SteveEveritt
  •  

Nice shots, they have that certain 50-135 look about them Smile

My flickr Photostream

17 Oct '16 Mon Oct 17, 2016 22:03    
sasastro
  •  

- SteveEveritt

Nice shots, they have that certain 50-135 look about them Smile

Cheers Steve, I think I'm coming to like what that "look" is Very Happy

Google +
Flickr
Photo Blog

18 Oct '16 Tue Oct 18, 2016 07:41    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Slow AF on the DA*50-135 is frustrating - but it has compensations and not just that 'look' - it's great in low light too. I've had mine 8 years and wide open it's fantastic - allowed me to get some pretty decent shots with the the K20 (max ISO 800 Sad ) in Sri Lanka in a poorly lit theatre as well as some good candids in the final half hour of business in the Bath Christmas markets with my K5 team and the K3.

18 Oct '16 Tue Oct 18, 2016 07:56    
sasastro
  •  

- Steve_7HC

Slow AF on the DA*50-135 is frustrating - but it has compensations and not just that 'look' - it's great in low light too. I've had mine 8 years and wide open it's fantastic - allowed me to get some pretty decent shots with the the K20 (max ISO 800 Sad ) in Sri Lanka in a poorly lit theatre as well as some good candids in the final half hour of business in the Bath Christmas markets with my K5 team and the K3.

I'll have to give it a try in low light

Google +
Flickr
Photo Blog

18 Oct '16 Tue Oct 18, 2016 08:21    
SteveEveritt
  •  

I've had (note had) two sigma 70-200's and a tamron 70-200 and still have the 50-135 it is simply epic.

My flickr Photostream

18 Oct '16 Tue Oct 18, 2016 08:26    
sasastro
  •  

- SteveEveritt

I've had (note had) two sigma 70-200's and a tamron 70-200 and still have the 50-135 it is simply epic.

I had read the reviews for it, and know it's prone to SDM failure but SRS had this one for such a good price, and a year's guarantee. It's not often you get a year on a used lens, plus I figure they wuld have checked everything was working OK before selling it on. Just had to go for it, I'm glad I did. Smile

Google +
Flickr
Photo Blog

18 Oct '16 Tue Oct 18, 2016 09:12    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

The early production models of it's sister lens, the DA* 16-50 had the SDM issues. The DA* 50-135 didn't or if it did, very few - I don't recall any concern at the time I bought it (from SRS) in May 2008, which wasn't the case with t'other 'un bought 2 months later. I don't think I've found any modern reference to an actual SDM problem that wasn't a regurgitation of the early faults threads/reports.

Link  QR 
Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   google+   linkedin   twitthis  
Show more ...
Go to page  Previous  1, 2

Forum Permissions - You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

pentaxslr Non-Human Visitor Terms and Conditions of Use