Metz 26 AF-1

Studio Photography, Flash, Daylight and Studio Lights, Flash equipment and use

28 May '16 Sat May 28, 2016 11:43    
Chris
Founder Member +  Founder Member +
  •  

Post Metz 26 AF-1

Does anyone know for sure whether this flash works as P-TTL master and/or controller with off-camera Pentax flashes such as the AF 540 FGZ?

It's small and would be ok-ish as a substitute for the built-in flash if it does, which would mean that off-camera flash would be possible with the K-3 II and K-1, and reasonably discreet and not too unwieldy, unlike if you have to stick a big honking flashgun on.

29 May '16 Sun May 29, 2016 09:00    
layingback
Site Administrator  Site Administrator
  •  

Post Re: Metz 26 AF-1

In light of the huge response ... Wink

... a little googling

seems to indicate otherwise.

bhphotovideo.com seems to indicate otherwise ...

In addition to basic TTL functionality, the 26 AF-1 also features a slave TTL function that allows it to be triggered wirelessly from the camera or another flash.

And Metz own site in US (with a shopping cart and no https!?!) calls it: 26AF-1 digital Pentax P-TTL / Remote TTL (Slave)

Little details on the - imminent? - AF-2 beyond an included stand.

A good match to the K-1 with its illuminated controls, but note that the GN of 26 is a stretch - only 20 if not in zoom 85mm mode - but still as high/higher than AF201 I believe.

My Own Personal Web Page on PENTAXslr.eu   <-- you can have one too

29 May '16 Sun May 29, 2016 10:05    
Chris
  •  

Yes, I'd done all that googling too. I was hoping to find someone that has one that can confirm what it can and can't do.

Apparently the AF-2 is identical to the AF-1, but more expensive because Metz weren't making enough on it so they added a plastic stand to make it 'different'.

No matter how good the K-3 II and K-1, I still think Pentax are complete tossers for removing the built-in flash. Unless the AF-1/2 happens to do the master/controller thing, there is simply no solution that meets my requirement for an inconspicuous way of firing two or three off-camera flashes wirelessly and with auto-exposure.

Even if it did work, you still need to carry the additional batteries around, whereas obviously the built-in runs off the camera battery.

And if you suddenly want a little fill-in outdoors, rather than just popping up the flash and shooting, there's all the sodding about fishing out the flash, and putting it in the hot shoe.

Being able to geotag the pictures would be nice, but there are a lot of pictures I'd then need to remove the geotags from before publishing them online, and in any case I'd much rather have the flash.

29 May '16 Sun May 29, 2016 10:29    
layingback
Site Administrator  Site Administrator
  •  

Agreed! Totally.

I see flash triggers such as this as the only alternative route. But these cheap ones are getting scarce. (I bought the last sets from Cotswolds.)

Newer models exist, but have added features like displays which have added cost, and made them larger too. Sad

And it's something else to go wrong, need batteries for, and learn/remember how to use!

My Own Personal Web Page on PENTAXslr.eu   <-- you can have one too

7 Jun '16 Tue Jun 07, 2016 16:58    
Chris
  •  

Should have posted this before - sorry.

I emailed Metz, and got a definitive "no it doesn't do master/controller" on the 26 AF-1 and AF-2.

Shame on them - missed an important trick there.

Link  QR 
Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   google+   linkedin   twitthis  
Show more ...

Forum Permissions - You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

pentaxslr Non-Human Visitor Terms and Conditions of Use