Pentax KP

PENTAX Digital slrs: technology, equipment, use, tips, tricks, on digital photography

18 Mar '17 Sat Mar 18, 2017 17:22    
MartinKP
  •  

Post Pentax KP

Hi. I am new to Pentax and also new to DSLR after switching from a bridge camera. I'm blown away with the quality and versatility of the KP and finding new things on it every day. I currently use Photoscape for post processing JPEG but want to do more with RAW. I currently have a demo of Optics Pro 11 DXO but to be honest, I don't know how to drive it. I use a 50mm SMC Pentax Da F1.8 with continuous photographic bulb for indoor photographs and switch to a HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F.4.5-6.3 zoom lens weather sealed for outdoor work. What post processing (on camera or otherwise) do others use?

• fulmarb1600.jpg
  • fulmarb1600.jpg
  • A Fulmars taken with KP

19 Mar '17 Sun Mar 19, 2017 09:47    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Post Re: Pentax KP

Welcome Martin. I think most of us who use Windows based computers will be Lightroom users for our processing out of camera. There is a new RAW processing package on the market, ON1 Photo RAW, which is similar but with some image processing facets that are thought to be better and others not so good. I have it but not tried it yet, so can't comment on its relative merits.

Shooting RAW is the better approach as you have all the image data preserved in the file, so you can fill in the detail in the shadows and mitigate the some of effects at the other end of the scale. With memory as affordable as never before, no reason not to shoot RAW. Adobe do Lightroom either a stand alone perpetual license for a one off payment or a monthly subscription which also includes Photoshop. The monthly license gets the new features as they get introduced whereas the perpetual license only gets the bug fixes and the new equipment up dates. There are advocates for both here and I guess it all depends on whether you're finances favour a regular payment or a one off hit - that and the attraction of Photoshop...

HTH

20 Mar '17 Mon Mar 20, 2017 16:18    
layingback
Site Administrator  Site Administrator
  •  

Welcome to the forum, Martin. Hope you find it useful here.

I'm not a Windows user, preferring Linux, so my feedback will be in the outlier range! Wink

We use darktable - a pun on the old photography terms darkroom and light table, when Adobe's product is called lightroom. darktable is a free open source product with equivalent goal to lightroom, but different capabilities. Some better, some not there yet, and some easier, some harder to learn/utilise. The input processing of the RAW is basically equivalent in all of these, including Abobe's products, as they all use the same single free RAW process as the basis of their product.

Unfortunately darktable is still not available for Windows. It's been built, but not released because the few developer's behind darktable are doing it for their own interest and satisfaction, and simply don't want to open up the inevitable support burden of a Windows release. To date no-one else has stepped up to the plate to take on that burden. It is possible to run darktable if you have a Mac system, and also if you have the knowledge to run a Virtual Linux system on your Windows PC (probably not worth the effort if you don't already have that running IMHO).

darktable

My Own Personal Web Page on PENTAXslr.eu   <-- you can have one too

22 Mar '17 Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:17    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Should add that Lightroom needs you to have a 64 bit version of Win 7 or above.

23 Mar '17 Thu Mar 23, 2017 20:41    
sasastro
Member / f1.4  Member / f1.4
  •  

Hello, sorry I'm late in a welcome and in a response. I use Lightroom, though I'm still learning, my processing is still very much trial and error.

Google +
Flickr
Photo Blog

Link  QR 
Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   google+   linkedin   twitthis  
Show more ...

Forum Permissions - You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum