Dust in viewfinder

PENTAX Digital slrs: technology, equipment, use, tips, tricks, on digital photography

10 Apr '17 Mon Apr 10, 2017 17:15    
pgmaguire
Member / f22  Member / f22
  •  

Post Dust in viewfinder

I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on removing dual from behind Pentax ks2 viewfinder? It does not affect the images but is annoying when Focusing.

11 Apr '17 Tue Apr 11, 2017 07:58    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Post Re: Dust in viewfinder

First thoughts are it's more likely to be dust on the mirror or the underside of the prism. If you have a Arctic Butterfly (or know someone who has), that would be the least intrusive way of removing the particles. Rocket blower might work but I'd be inclined to try a lint free cotton bud with a little lens cleaning fluid (or Isopropyl Alcohol). If you use fluid, don't over dampen the cotton bud as you need to avoid excess dripping off the mirror into the dark recesses of the body. Isopropyl Alcohol evaporates very quickly, so it less likely to cause any 'collateral' damage if you are over generous with the liquid.

HTH

11 Apr '17 Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:01    
layingback
Site Administrator  Site Administrator
  •  

Be aware that touching the focussing Fresnel with almost anything runs a risk of damage. Soft doesn't describe it.

Had to replace the one on my K20-D twice! First time was down to me, touched it unintentionally while cleaning it. Had to remove it as dust was on prism side, ie, upper side. There is a small tab to remove and replace the frensel with. But special tweezers for the job are required. The ones that come with the Pentax alternate focussing screens look ideal, but that's expensive. So I bought some from local market stall - they are tweezers in which the arms crossover, so they normal stay closed until pressed to open them. Much easier to not drop the focussing screen that way!

2nd time was when the focussing screen dropped out. Didn't damage the mirror fortunately, but the screen was damaged hitting the lens mount, while focussing presumably. So if you do remove it to clean it, be very sure that's it is reseated correctly.

Or go to a local camera show which offers sensor cleaning. Usually quite cheap at the shows (loss leader to get you to use their services) as it is part of the cleaning process to also check the focussing screen. But you need to go early as a lot of professionals in your area will be using the service.

My Own Personal Web Page on PENTAXslr.eu   <-- you can have one too

11 Apr '17 Tue Apr 11, 2017 14:32    
pgmaguire
Member / f22  Member / f22
  •  

Got the problem sorted by dropping the prism and using blower. Thanks

Link  QR 
Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   google+   linkedin   twitthis  
Show more ...

Forum Permissions - You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum