Advanced Camera Services (ACS)

PENTAX Digital slrs: technology, equipment, use, tips, tricks, on digital photography

5 Aug '17 Sat Aug 05, 2017 07:24    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Post Advanced Camera Services (ACS)

After a few years of good intentions to do it, I've decided to convert one of my now 'out of regular use' bodies (better feel to it than 'redundant') to Infra Red. I originally earmarked a duplicate istD for this but now will send my old faithful and much traveled K7 for conversion.

ACS seem to be the leading company for this - based up in Sas country. Anyone had any experience of them?

9 Aug '17 Wed Aug 09, 2017 16:23    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Post Re: Advanced Camera Services (ACS)

As no one has advised against working with ACS, my K7 was dispatched and duly delivered this morning for it's conversion, using a 720 nm filter which is the all rounder choice. Looking forward to getting some different style of images from what I'd normally take.

11 Aug '17 Fri Aug 11, 2017 07:31    
layingback
Site Administrator  Site Administrator
  •  

Looking forward to seeing the results ... How does it affect the ISO range, ie does it add or subtract light transmission? Clearly only an approximation as it changes the frequency of light, but what I'm trying to ask is: Does the limited ISO range of the K7 (relative to newer bodies) get further impacted or improve?

My Own Personal Web Page on PENTAXslr.eu   <-- you can have one too

11 Aug '17 Fri Aug 11, 2017 08:09    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

The 720nm filter isn't supposed to have any impact according to ACS and as you are only using the extreme end of the visible spectrum through to roughly 1100nm, ordinary limitations shouldn't apply. Thus the less than stunning ISO range of the K7 won't be a limiting factor. When I first started looking at doing this, the only Pentax body they did was the *istD, though there was a user based in the South Hants area posting images on Pentax User from a K10D.

The more true IR filter, the 830nm (i.e. cuts out all light of less than the 830nm frequency), only gives B&W images and has the effect equivalent of slowing the lens by a stop. I thought the false colour images from the 720nm would be more interesting, plus I can always do the B&W conversion in LR if that form works better.

11 Aug '17 Fri Aug 11, 2017 08:23    
layingback
Site Administrator  Site Administrator
  •  

[quote="though there was a user based in the South Hants area posting images on Pentax User from a K10D.[/quote]

Southampton I think, although I never met him. The K10D/K20D conversions were available from a company in USA IIRC, for a not insignificant amount, plus potential customs issues, etc.

My Own Personal Web Page on PENTAXslr.eu   <-- you can have one too

11 Aug '17 Fri Aug 11, 2017 08:55    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

I remember a few shots of his from Bishop's Waltham which was familiar territory from weekends in my mid 20's when I was with a lassie from Cosham. Wasn't sure about Southampton, so used 'South Hants' as this covers a lot of places!

I think he did the conversion himself as it's not toooo difficult if you have the right tools and facilities. Quite likely there's a step by step guide from him out there on how he did it - very vague recollections on reading it at the time.

20 Aug '17 Sun Aug 20, 2017 13:52    
Charlotte
Founder Member +  Founder Member +
  •  

How are you getting on with it Steve?

Je Suis Charlie

20 Aug '17 Sun Aug 20, 2017 17:25    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Not got it back yet - was going to give them a call tomorrow am to find out if they can give me a completion/dispatch date. Itching to give it a go!

21 Aug '17 Mon Aug 21, 2017 09:05    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Just spoken to ACS - will be circa 3 weeks (usually 1-2 weeks but v busy a ce moment), so ought to get it back before end of the month. Won't get much time to play with before our next trip (K5II team outing with standard travel lens combo to Italy).

5 Sep '17 Tue Sep 05, 2017 15:02    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Well, it's finally here - the day before we go to Italy. So, popped a couple lenses on and poked it out of the usual viewing windows:

Penn Hill (north side)

K7-050917-03 by Steve Chasey, on Flickr

Kelston Roundhill

K7-050917-01 by Steve Chasey, on Flickr

and just to give a feel for the same view with a standard set up and the same lens (albeit winter and not late summer)

K5-260113-01 by Steve Chasey, on Flickr

7 Sep '17 Thu Sep 07, 2017 06:49    
Charlotte
Founder Member +  Founder Member +
  •  

Looking good - you're going to have some fun with that. Cool

Je Suis Charlie

21 Sep '17 Thu Sep 21, 2017 16:26    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Sincerely hope so - just need some brighter weather to fit round current family demands so I can get out there and start experimenting more Smile

Link  QR 
Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   google+   linkedin   twitthis  
Show more ...

Forum Permissions - You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

pentaxslr Non-Human Visitor Terms and Conditions of Use