Lightroom - Masking values for Pentax lenses

Digital Image Processing, eg. Photoshop,GIMP, LightRoom, DarkTable

8 Aug '15 Sat Aug 08, 2015 09:01    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Post Lightroom - Masking values for Pentax lenses

If you use the Lightroom sharpen presets, you will have noted that on the 'landscape' version, masking is set to '0'. Martin Evening's books only skirt over this (more space to images than text) and as a result I've never done anything with this slider, leaving it at '0'. However, after latching onto a threat in the Flickr Lightroom group, I've been educated a bit more on this and come up with starting values for my most recently used lenses. As follows:

DA* 16-50mm75
DA* 50-135mm85
DA* 60-250mm85
FA 31mm Ltd85 (75 for slides)
FA 77mm Ltd85 (75 for slides)
FA 24-90mm70 (+/- 5) for slides, 85 for mono film
smc Pentax FA 43mm Ltd75
HD Pentax D-FA 150-450mm85
HD Pentax D-FA 24-70mm85

These seem to be almost universal - I check most using by moving the slider whilst the Alt key is depressed and make little or no further adjustments. Been applied with images taken with my K3, K5, K5II, K5IIs and K7.

It makes a small but imperceptible difference at the time you make the adjustment but when it is viewed on screen after uploading to the likes of Flickr, it makes the image sharper, so worth the effort.

Steve

8 Aug '15 Sat Aug 08, 2015 21:51    
sasastro
Member / f1.4  Member / f1.4
  •  

Post Re: Lightroom - Masking values for Pentax lenses

That's a setting I've ignored until now Steve, I'll have to experiment with it. Thanks for the tip.

Google +
Flickr
Photo Blog

9 Aug '15 Sun Aug 09, 2015 19:44    
cardiff_gareth
Founder Member  
  •  

Are we talking about sharpening masking?

Gareth

My outfit: K5ii gripped - Pentax DA* 16-50mm - Sigma 105mm - Sigma 170-500mm - Pentax F 50mm f1.7 - Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 - Metz 48 AF1

My Flickr

My PPG images

500px

10 Aug '15 Mon Aug 10, 2015 07:40    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

We are Gareth - if you use the sharpen presets that come with Lightroom, the portrait one has masking set at '60' whereas the landscape version has it at '0'.

10 Aug '15 Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:17    
cardiff_gareth
Founder Member  
  •  

Never knew there was sharpening / masking presets, I do all mine individually by zooming in!

Gareth

My outfit: K5ii gripped - Pentax DA* 16-50mm - Sigma 105mm - Sigma 170-500mm - Pentax F 50mm f1.7 - Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 - Metz 48 AF1

My Flickr

My PPG images

500px

10 Aug '15 Mon Aug 10, 2015 13:16    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Depends on the volume you are loading at any given time I guess. I came back with 2800 raw images from Peru, so doing a bulk import with landscape sharpening, lens correction enabled and sync'd basic metadata is kinda useful. My work flow isn't all Lightroom - everything goes through Faststone Image Viewer first where it's assigned an image reference (I use Camera-DDMMYY-XXX as you may have spotted) - it's more versatile than Lightroom as you can use what ever combinations you want, then put into a meaningful folder (eg. 'Peru - Lima') ready for importing into Lightroom.

27 Apr '16 Wed Apr 27, 2016 09:21    
layingback
Site Administrator  Site Administrator
  •  

FYI, Steve has updated this article with mask values for additional lenses and usages. - lb

My Own Personal Web Page on PENTAXslr.eu   <-- you can have one too

16 Nov '17 Thu Nov 16, 2017 14:44    
layingback
Site Administrator  Site Administrator
  •  

FYI, Steve has updated this article (again) with mask values for additional lenses. - lb

My Own Personal Web Page on PENTAXslr.eu   <-- you can have one too

16 Nov '17 Thu Nov 16, 2017 18:00    
sasastro
Member / f1.4  Member / f1.4
  •  

Have to say that I find these settings really useful since I first read about them.

Google +
Flickr
Photo Blog

16 Nov '17 Thu Nov 16, 2017 18:11    
Steve_7HC
Sponsor  Sponsor
  •  

Thanks Sas. One of the points of sites like this is sharing info on commonly used kit. I was surprised at the HD D-FA 24-70 starting value of 85 . It might be something to do with it being married with the K1 when I was developing my first images or may be not. But by and large, an initial value of 75 for bulk processing of images being imported into LR works well for me where there are multiple lenses in use in the batch concerned.

Link  QR 
Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   google+   linkedin   twitthis  
Show more ...

Forum Permissions - You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

pentaxslr Non-Human Visitor Terms and Conditions of Use